Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lennox 14acx vs trane xr15

Posted by tucker_troy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 18:13

Hello all,
Time to replace one of my units here in South Texas. Looking in the 3.5 ton 16 Seer range, and have narrowed down my search to either the Lennox 14ACX ($7,000) or the Trane XR15 ($8400). Both come with 10 year warranty on parts.

With a $1400 price difference I'm obviously leaning toward the Lennox, but wanted hear what the forum experts have to say regarding these units?

Thanks in advance!
TT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lennox 14acx vs trane xr15

Tucker

Just to be clear, your quotes are for straight AC condensers with matching evap coils.

You realize that you must have a var speed air handler or furnace to take advantage of these high eff units? What mdl/brand do you have?

I am not a fan of Lennox and particularly the ACX series of condensers. The Trane is superior and of course a typical expensive Trane price. Make no mistake, the Trane and the Lennox mdls are not comparable.

I would like to Know the mdl or air handler you plan to use. But based on the info provided, I would ask the Lennox dealer to upgrade his price to the 14XC mdl condenser with matching evap coil before I made my decision.

Post back.

IMO

o

Tigerdunes,
Thanks for the quick reply. Not exactly sure what a var speed air handler is, but I'm just looking at replacing the AC section (condenser and coil?) on my 18 year old Trane HVAC system. I do know that the furnace section is gas. From the companies that I've contacted I get the impression that this is a fairly typical install around here.

Anyway, I've read another similar post regarding the Lennox 14ACX and the XC14 issues. I called and asked the Lennox rep that gave me the quote about this, and he said that both systems are very similar to the point that Lennox doesn't advertise the 14ACX as being 16 SEER capable for fear of undercutting sales of the XC14 (?)

At any rate, I'm taking a closer look at the Trane systems and have expanded it to include the XL15i (a step up) and the XB14 (a step down). Both seem well regarded but the price difference from the other units is hard to swallow...

I also learned that Trane makes American Standard AC units as well, but not sure what would be comparable. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,
TT

o

Tucker

You are missing the point.

You can not achieve these condensers' performance/efficiency capability unless you have a var speed furnace. If you don't, then you would be wasting your money and should stay with a basic 13 SEER model.

IMO

o

var speed = variable speed. As in the blower speed will vary over the profile of operation. It will start slow which is good for humidity extraction. Then it will speed up which is good for dropping the temperature quickly. It definitely made a difference when I replaced my old equipment.

As to AS, word here is that they are a lower-priced alternative that is still good quality.

o

My bad. Yes, all the systems that I'm considering come with variable speed blowers. Given the large price differences, I was just looking for some insight on the Lennox 14ACX versus the Trane XR15.

After reviewing other threads, it seems that Tigerdunes and others prefer Trane over Lennox, but believe that the Lennox XC14 is a good alternative given the price. However, I just got a quote for a Trane XR15 for $7480 installed which makes it the same price as the Lennox; so I'm getting a Trane.

o

Tucker

I hope I am mistaken.

Post the mdl numbers of the var speed air handler or furnace that you have or is being quoted. Makes a big difference.

IMO

o

Tigerdunes,
Haven't pulled the trigger yet as another option, a Rudd system, was presented to me for $1000 less than the Trane. Model numbers follow:

A/C condenser 14ajm42a01
A/C coil rcflhm4821cc
Gas furnace rgpt-o7ebrqr
Cost installed before rebates: $6572

Asked for the model numbers for the Trane unit and will post when I receive them.

This a/c replacement is turning out to be a lot more complicated than I thought. Good thing it has hit the 90's yet here in South Texas or my wife would kill me. Thanks again!

TT

o

RUUD makes good stuff. I don't think that model is as good as a trane xr15 though. I would prefer this over the lennox I think but some might disagree. Does this RUUD furance have a variable speed blower?

o

Tucker

Depending on mdls quoted, I like Rudd/Rheem as well. However, the AC condenser quoted is low end. Not certain what you are looking for as far as gas furnace, the mdl quoted is 80% eff with a high eff x-13 blower motor.

Dealer should quote a higher end AC unit with a two stg var speed furnace.

IMO

o

Like everyone one else, I'm looking for something reliable, efficient and relatively quiet at a fair price. I was happy with my previous system (Trane) which lasted 18 years; it kept us cool in the summer where it easily gets into the 100's 90+ days in a row around here, and warm in the winter which is very mild, rarely dipping below freezing for more than a few days. Granted my utility bills fluctuated with the weather accordingly ($120 to $380), so I'm willing to pay extra for a higher efficiency system (16 Seer). At any rate, would you agree that the prices I've been quoted seem to be reasonable? And if you have any specific suggestions on what models I should be looking at, please let me know.

Thanks,
TT

o

Tucker

What efficiency furnace are you looking for?

Short winters, mild winters? I assume AC is more important than heating for your location/climate.

Post back and I will give you a few ideas.

IMO

o

Tiger,
They have recommended 80% efficiency. Natural gas is cheap, plus with the mild, short winters here we don't run the heater very much.

On the other hand AC rules. Operates continuously from April through October. Efficiency is more important but I don't see a big advantage going above 16 Seer for the additional cost. Reliability and quiet operation are important as well.

As it stands, it's about $1K difference between the Trane XR15 and the Rudd. Is it worth it? Still waiting on exact model numbers for the Trane...

Thanks,
TT

o

Just to follow-up, as suggested I asked for a step-up in the Rudd system and this is what they came back with:

AC condenser: RAPM042JEZ
Coil: RCFNHM4824CC
Furnace: RGRM12ERAJS

It costs $900 more which makes it equal to the cost of the Trane XR15. But wondering if the furnace is too much for my needs. Thoughts?

Thanks,
TT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here