Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masonatom

Trane XL15i questions

masonatom
14 years ago

We are in the process of buying a new heat pump for our house. One zone, three floor townhouse. The existing heat pump is a 2 ton Carrier from 1984. We live in Alexandria, VA. Winters not so bad, summers require a decent amount of A/C.

Just wondering if I could some general impressions on the system we've been quoted on:

Trane XL15i 15 SEER heat pump 2 Ton - 4TWX5024

Variable Speed Air Handler - 4TEE3F3B1

Electric Heat Package - TBAYHTR1410

Trane 7 day programmable thermostat. (I don't know the model number)

Quote is about $5750, includes all installation, power and control wiring, sheet metal, refrigerant piping, and taxes. ($145 less for a non-programmable thermostat).

Does this seem like a reasonable quote and pairing of pump/variable speed air handler/thermostat? Anything I should look for to improve or change in this configuration?

Thanks for any help. I'm waiting on a few more quotes as well.

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

mason

what size townhouse? how did your old Carrier perform in the summer?

you are missing a number in your air handler model.

the 39A1 air handler is the preferred air handler for the better HSPF efficiency.

1382158 Active Systems XL15I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX5024A1 4TEE3F39A1 25000 13.00 16.00 24000 9.00 13800

I think the price is on high side.

Best stat is XL803 or HW VisionPro IAQ. I would not accept anything else.

Exact same condenser is available from sister company Am Standard Heritage 15 minus Trane's funky proprietary top. Usually AS is less expensive.

IMO

• masonatom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The townhouse is 3 floors total. Around 2000 square feet, give or take 150... Basement area has a finished rec room and an unfinished room in the back (houses the hot water cooler+duct work).

The Carrier unit did fine in the summer, no problems really.

Temperature distribution through the house is about what one would expect - warmest on the top floor, basement tends to be cold (registers in the ceiling, no vents on the floor).

Is the 39A1 air handler a variable speed handler?

I'm not sure what all the specs mean in your list.

The stat included in the quote is the Trane XL803.

Correct air handler number is 4TEE3F31B1.

Mason

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

mason

you want the 4TEE3F39A1 for the better heating "HSPF" efficiency, not the 4TEE3F31B1 that was quoted.

and yes, it is var speed air handler as well.

you are certain old Carrier is two ton? the reason I ask is that two ton seems small for 2000 sq ft.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

It's a good system if installed/sized correctly, as always. However, tiger is correct that the 4TEE3F39A1 air handler yields higher efficiency ratings (which qualify for the $1500 tax credit as do the ratings provided by the model you were initially quoted). The 39A1 air handler is physically larger (by quite a bit) and would need to have its airflow settings adjusted to match the 2 ton unit, but this is very possible and common. Price differs by company, job, location, etc., but for my area (MD/DC) that would be the range you're looking at. Some do it cheaper, some don't, but you always get what you pay for in this industry it seems. I'd still like more details from the quote, however, if given to you. I.e., will they flush or reuse the existing refrigerant lines (necessary for switchover to R-410A refrigerant), will they need any additional ductwork modifications, balancing airflow throughout home (probably not if you had no hot/cold spots in the past), etc.? Might be able to save a few bucks by going with the XR15 heat pump, which has virtually the same efficiency ratings just different physical look outside. It's a newer model. Hope this helps, post back with any further questions.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

all good points by Ryan.

I prefer replacing with new refrigerant lineset.

IMO

• burnselk
    14 years ago

That price is in line with the price I got yesterday for a 3 ton Trane XL15i SEER 15 (same thing except you're pricing a 2 ton, I'm pricing a 3 ton). I was given a price of $6,100 installed......and I'm not getting a programmable thermostat. And don't forget, your unit qualifies for the $1,500 tax credit. That cuts the real price to around $4,250. That's a good deal. I am surprised however that you're buying a 2 ton unit for a 2200 sq. ft. house........mine is only 1150 sq. ft. and I'm being quoted as needing a 3 ton........but I think I'll ask for the 2.5 ton since that's what I have now......if I can that is. You will (I'm told) see a HUGE difference in the effency of the new SEER 15 HVAC units over that old 1984 model.....surprise, I'm replacing an 1984 model as well. Good luck.

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

3 tons is oversized for 1150 sqft in most cases.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

since I had a 3ton replacement unitinstalled this past spring, including new refrigerant lines and I just did my taxes...I can tell you my 3T 15i was $7100 with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. The late spring install came with a $400 instant rebate for the contract and a $500 rebate from the licenses installer. I then gor $500 back from a utilty and $1500 back on my taxes. Final Cost: $4200...btw it was a regular stat and I still think about the prgrammable one. I think it was a good price. Can you wait till spring?

• catfishkp96_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Here is my quote for an exactly the same housing scenario, forum raised some good questions for me. Any advice from the group is welcomed!

Scope of Work: �Replacement of AC System converting to Heat Pump System
    �Job includes all necessary ducting, piping, electrical, control, removal and disposal of old equipment and any other material necessary to complete job.
    Equipment Schedule:
    Trane XL15i, 2 ton, 16 seer Heat Pump
    Trane TEE series variable speed air handler
    � ** Job includes TCON803 Digital Programmable Thermostat
    ** Warranty: �10 year parts and 1 year labor

** System qualifies for 2011 federal tax credit of $500.00. (Certificate Provided
    � Price: �$6050.00 (Six Thousand Fifty Dollars)
    �

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz