Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Seer rating should I pick? Help!

Posted by indianlakes (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:07

We are building a new home. The quotes came today for the HVAC. There were good, better and best options. All were the same except the SEERs. My choices are 16.5, 17.7 and 21.5. The house 3850 SF and one level. Its located in Central Texas so it's hot. Really hot most of the year. The quote is also for two separate units, one is 3 ton and one is 4 ton. We have propane. The price difference ranged from 17600 to 21200. I have no idea which to choose. Any advice would really be appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Seer rating should I pick? Help!

Given that this is new construction (so assuming energy efficient) and that you live in Texas (hot, humid) the equipment proposal sounds over-sized. They are proposing 7 tons when roughly 5 tons would appear more appropriate. Don't do anything until they justify the sizing with a detailed load calculation. Get the manufacturer names and model numbers fo the equipment they are proposing.

Propane is generally the most expensive form of heating. Have you considred a heat pump?

o

"All were the same except the SEERs"

It is highly unlikely that the same equipment with the same sizes has the same SEER rating. You need to get a list of all the model numbers of all equipment you are being quoted.

You should also need to ask for a load calculation to verify the equipment is the correct size. When it comes to HVAC equipment too big is just as bad as too small.

o

Thanks! I will definitely ask about the load calculation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here