Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I create zones for my HVAC?

Posted by thebigad (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 16:32

I have a ranch house, with a terrace (basement) level below. The thermostat for the HVAC is on the main floor. There is one furnace with a heat pump outside. Its a 3-ton, I believe. In the winter, the terrace level gets very cold and in the summer the upper level gets very warm.

Is there a way that I can add some gizmo to make the heating/cooling smarter? A zone system of some sort?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I create zones for my HVAC?

Hi thebigad,

Zoning is a complicate install. Not every house is zonable. My best bet is to call a contractor to see if you can even zone first. Unless someone is there, it's really hard for anyone to give you any advices.

o

Zoning might be nice, but if you just want to even out your heating and cooling, you may be equipped to do it already. Look at the accessible parts of your ducts. Are there levers on the duct sides? If so, you might be able to adjust the about of air flow twice a year to make things more comfortable and efficient.

o

When you say accessible parts of the ducts -- are you talking about where they come out from the furnace? Or in the attic somewhere?

o

The only ones I have ever seen that are used for this purpose are near the furnace, but I do not have a lot of experience.

o

Zoning cooling often becomes a nightmare.

The varying loads placed on the cooling system play havoc with performance, unless you spend money for varying the available cooling (like commercial work).

o

Hmmm. No levers. I'll have to get an HVAC guy out to advise me.

o

If you are lucky, they might he able to do some changes that will fix you up without spending a bundle. It might mean adjusting your return air flow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here