Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Pump Snow Legs for a Carrier A/C

Posted by carjeff (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 15:44

We are getting a Carrier Infinity 24ANB1 Condensing Unit. My wife was interested in raising it up slightly due to our landscaping around the existing unit. The contractor said he could install snow legs normally used for the Carrier Heat pump on this unit. Any thoughts on doing this? Also, the contractor mentioned 6" legs, but it looks like 3" legs might also be available. Is this correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Pump Snow Legs for a Carrier A/C

There are 3,6,9 and I've seen 12"
Nothing wrong with doing what your thinking.
If you have nice landscaping you might consider making a platform out of wall pavers

o

I almost routinely use shorter legs to get even just AC condensers up to limit damage from weed whackers trimming grass around their slab.

There are numerous manufacturers of the legs, not just the 'brand name' (and likely overpriced) ones from the condenser manufacturers.

o

I have also seen steel platforms that the unit sits on that bolt to the foundation and don't even touch the ground.

o

As a professional I have installed many heat pumps and they are my favorite unit when installed correctly. One thing that needs to be understood to do it correctly is they only work if air can pass through the outside coil. This means shovel snow away from them after each storm and better.....put on a platform above the height of the average accumulated snow level during the winter. If you get two feet of snow on the ground then put on a three feet tall platform. The cost of making one is worth it in energy saving the first year. If you don't get snow then just six inches to keep off the grass and dirt of a lawn mower is OK, 12 inches only better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here