Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evaluate quotes - which is better?

Posted by kailuamom (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 15:00

Hi There - Please help me evaluate these two proposals:

If we go with the Bryant option, I may ask to downgrade the heater... is that possible given the AC units? The Bryant dealer did give me pricing for an 80% unit, but the AC unit he quoted with it, wasnt able to be upgraded to include the sound blanket, which is important to me.

Carrier: $10,765 - including all new underfloor ducting & wifi thermostat

Heater - 585TX70-12
80% 70,000 BTU

AC
24ABC636
14 SEER 3T

Warranty - 10 Parts & Labor, 20 Heat Exchange

Bryant- 3.5T AC units, including wifi thermostat and underfloor ducting.

1) 14.5 SEER cooling with 96% furnace is $9,295.00 (925SA42060 furnace/ 126BNA042 A/C unit)

2) 16 SEER with a 96% furnace is $9,430.00 + (925SA6080 furnace/ 126BNA042 A/C unit)

Warranty - 2 years labor, 10 years parts.

Thanks!

This post was edited by kailuamom on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 15:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evaluate quotes - which is better?

Hi - can anyone tell me if these are comprable, or if one is better?

Thanks

o

kailuamom,

Take a look at any one of many similar posts that are active today and see what supporting information is required for the experts here to give you an answer.

You're not being fair to them.

o

The Carrier 58STX70 (your model number is incorrect) is is a low end model. I would not recommend it. The AC part of the Comfort series which is close to the bottom for their products. I also don't recommend buying an 80% AFUE furnace.

The Bryant 925S furnace is much nicer. It is 2-stage and is rated for 96% efficiency. The AC is the preferred series which is similar to the Carrier Performance series. It is still a single stage but better built than the Carrier option.

The Bryant dealer has quoted a second larger furnace. I assume he did this to try to get a better SEER rating. I recommend you not over size the furnace in order to improve the SEER rating. He has also quoted a 3.5 ton AC. Over sizing the AC is also bad.

What is your location, the size of the house, and the present sizes of the furnace and AC? Did anyone do a load calculation?

o

What is location?

What size area are you heating and cooling?

My information is the 925S Bryant furnace is high eff single stage , not 2 stage as Mike stated above. This should be verified.

What size HVAC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

o

Thank you thank you thank you!

Sorry, I thought I had posted the required info. I had a post earlier where you all were helping me figure out what to ask, and once I had model numbers, I thought I was good.

The model numbers are right off the written proposals BUT one of them was written by hand, and perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. Sorry!

Anyway

1500 sq ft home, 8-11 ft saluted ceilings. Single story, no existing ductwork. To the best of our knowledge, little insulation.
We are in California, summer is hot, over 100 probably at least 90 days. It gets below freezing probably 15-20 days per year.
Currently....1961 carrier heater - no AC

I asked the Bryant dealer why he quoted 3.5T, he said because of the west facing windows and vaulted ceilings.

No one did a load test.

o

Can't help if you don't answer questions.

What size HVAC are you replacing?

I would not purchase new HVAC without a load calculation in writing both cooling and heating.

Post back.

IMO

o

Tigerdunes is correct. The 925S is a single stage furnace. The 925T is the 2-stage version.

I thing even a 60K BTU furnace is too big for your climate.

o

I don't have a meaningful hvac now. There's an old furnace from the year the home was built, 1961, with one duct to the adjoining room.... So far no one has taken that into consideration.

Btw - I'm just looking for feedback on what has been quoted to me. It sounds like the 14.5 SEER option, is best and perhaps we need to fine tune the size since 3.5T seems high. Did I get that right?

Thanks again

This post was edited by kailuamom on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 18:32

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here