Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailuamom_gw

Evaluate quotes - which is better?

kailuamom
10 years ago

Hi There - Please help me evaluate these two proposals:

If we go with the Bryant option, I may ask to downgrade the heater... is that possible given the AC units? The Bryant dealer did give me pricing for an 80% unit, but the AC unit he quoted with it, wasnt able to be upgraded to include the sound blanket, which is important to me.

Carrier: $10,765 - including all new underfloor ducting & wifi thermostat

Heater - 585TX70-12
80% 70,000 BTU

AC
24ABC636
14 SEER 3T

Warranty - 10 Parts & Labor, 20 Heat Exchange

Bryant- 3.5T AC units, including wifi thermostat and underfloor ducting.

1) 14.5 SEER cooling with 96% furnace is $9,295.00 (925SA42060 furnace/ 126BNA042 A/C unit)

2) 16 SEER with a 96% furnace is $9,430.00 + (925SA6080 furnace/ 126BNA042 A/C unit)

Warranty - 2 years labor, 10 years parts.

Thanks!

This post was edited by kailuamom on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 15:01

Comments (8)

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi - can anyone tell me if these are comprable, or if one is better?

Thanks

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

kailuamom,

Take a look at any one of many similar posts that are active today and see what supporting information is required for the experts here to give you an answer.

You're not being fair to them.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The Carrier 58STX70 (your model number is incorrect) is is a low end model. I would not recommend it. The AC part of the Comfort series which is close to the bottom for their products. I also don't recommend buying an 80% AFUE furnace.

The Bryant 925S furnace is much nicer. It is 2-stage and is rated for 96% efficiency. The AC is the preferred series which is similar to the Carrier Performance series. It is still a single stage but better built than the Carrier option.

The Bryant dealer has quoted a second larger furnace. I assume he did this to try to get a better SEER rating. I recommend you not over size the furnace in order to improve the SEER rating. He has also quoted a 3.5 ton AC. Over sizing the AC is also bad.

What is your location, the size of the house, and the present sizes of the furnace and AC? Did anyone do a load calculation?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is location?

What size area are you heating and cooling?

My information is the 925S Bryant furnace is high eff single stage , not 2 stage as Mike stated above. This should be verified.

What size HVAC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!

Sorry, I thought I had posted the required info. I had a post earlier where you all were helping me figure out what to ask, and once I had model numbers, I thought I was good.

The model numbers are right off the written proposals BUT one of them was written by hand, and perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. Sorry!

Anyway

1500 sq ft home, 8-11 ft saluted ceilings. Single story, no existing ductwork. To the best of our knowledge, little insulation.
    We are in California, summer is hot, over 100 probably at least 90 days. It gets below freezing probably 15-20 days per year.
    Currently....1961 carrier heater - no AC

I asked the Bryant dealer why he quoted 3.5T, he said because of the west facing windows and vaulted ceilings.

No one did a load test.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Can't help if you don't answer questions.

What size HVAC are you replacing?

I would not purchase new HVAC without a load calculation in writing both cooling and heating.

Post back.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes is correct. The 925S is a single stage furnace. The 925T is the 2-stage version.

I thing even a 60K BTU furnace is too big for your climate.

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a meaningful hvac now. There's an old furnace from the year the home was built, 1961, with one duct to the adjoining room.... So far no one has taken that into consideration.

Btw - I'm just looking for feedback on what has been quoted to me. It sounds like the 14.5 SEER option, is best and perhaps we need to fine tune the size since 3.5T seems high. Did I get that right?

Thanks again

This post was edited by kailuamom on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 18:32