Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needhelpinga

please review my HVAC price quote - Atlanta

NeedHelpinGA
11 years ago

If anyone could help me that would be great! I have a 1993 house we bought last year and got a good deal on it, but the HVAC/comfort is pretty hot/cold. The house is 2616 sq. ft, three bedrooms upstairs, with the master and master bath above the garage (so they seem to get colder/hotter). The house has high vaulted ceilings and a very open floor plan which look nice but seem to compound regulating the temperature. Here is the quote:

Upstairs

Install a Carrier Performance 2.5 ton 16 SEER A/C, and Carrier Performance 80% efficient gas furnace.

 Install a Carrier, 16 Seer, 2.5 ton A/C outside with single stage compressor.R410A (Model # 24ACC630A003) 410A Puron
 Install a Carrier, 80%, 70K BTU gas furnace with multi speed blower (Model # 58PHA070-1-16 )
 Install matching 2.5 ton evaporator coil. (Model #C36H175 ) 410A Puron
 Change breakers in panel box as necessary.
 Install Carrier Edge thermostat with dehumidification technology.
 Reconnect to existing flue pipe.
 Enlarge return duct to upstairs landing into a 12” return with a 14x14 return grille.
 Enlarge return going to the Master Bedroom.
 Add new 8” supply to upstairs landing to the right of return.
 Install new sheet metal supply and return plenums and eliminate the fiberglass plenums.
 Flush and vacuum existing refrigerant lines.
 Install 1” external filter rack.
 Install an outdoor condenser pad.
 Install furnace in drain pan with safety switch.
 Mastic seal all connections at equipment.
 Remove and haul away old equipment.
 Includes 1 year of XXXXXXXXXX Maintenance Plan.
 XXXXXXXXXXX Heating and Air Co. will provide all labor and materials required to install this equipment in a workmanship manner.

Main Level
Install a Carrier Performance 2 ton 16 SEER A/C, and Carrier Comfort 80% efficient gas furnace.

 Install a Carrier, 16 Seer, 2 ton A/C outside with single stage compressor.R410A (Model # 24ACC624A003) 410A Puron
 Install a Carrier, 80%, 45K BTU gas furnace with single speed blower (Model # 58STA045-1-08 )
 Install matching 2 ton evaporator coil. (Model #C36H142 ) 410A Puron
 Change breakers in panel box as necessary.
 Install Honeywell Focus Pro 6000 digital thermostat.
 Reconnect to existing flue pipe.
 Add new 10” return with 14x6 grille to the interior corner of the foyer.
 Install new sheet metal supply and return plenums and eliminate the fiberglass plenums.
 Flush and vacuum existing refrigerant lines.
 Install new condensate pump.
 Install 1” external filter rack.
 Install an outdoor condenser pad.
 Mastic seal all connections at equipment.
 Remove and haul away old equipment.
 Includes 1 year of XXXXXXXX Maintenance Plan.
 XXXXXX Heating and Air Co. will provide all labor and materials required to install this equipment in a workmanship manner.

Total For the Work Above: $11,510.00

Comments (9)

• mike_home
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The price seems good considering the amount of equipment and work to be done. Is the quote form a Carrier Factory Authorized dealer?

The sizes seem reasonable for the furnaces and AC. Did the contractor do a load calculation? I assume the furnace sizes are the smallest available.

Here are my general comments:

- I would prefer 90%+ AFUE furnaces with mutli-speed or variable speed blowers. Installing the one in the attic is more difficult but possible. The downstairs furnace should be easy.

- If you suffer from high humidity in the summer then consider 2-stage AC units. You have small sizes so it is not that critical if the units have been sized correctly.

- I would rather see the linesets replaced and not flushed. This may not be possible for the unit in the attic.

- I suggest getting 4 inch media filters rather than 1 inch.

- Why is the contractor quoting a Carrier Comfort furnace for downstairs? Is it a size issue?

- Ask if you can get the Carrier 10 year labor warranty. It is a good investment in my opinion. All parts should already receive a 10 year parts warranty.

• NeedHelpinGA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention the downstairs unit is inside the crawl space.

Here is the warranty the company is providing. Thier website says they are a "Carrier Factory Authorized dealer".

Warranty: Carrier

1 year warranty on labor.
    10 year warranty on compressor.
    10 year warranty on coils.
    5 year warranty on parts (10 years if registered)
    20 year warranty on heat exchanger.

Not sure if the sales rep performed a "load test" perhaps I will google this and try to figure out what this means,

Thanks for your thoughts

• mike_home
    11 years ago

A heating and cooling load calculation is used to determine the sizes of the furnaces and AC equipment. The HVAC equipment should be neither too big or too small.

A Carrier FAD should be able to offer the Carrier 10 year labor warranty. If you have one repair during the first 10 years it will have paid for itself. I am surprised this was not offered.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Think about a HP instead of standard AC. This may depend on the cost of electricity and NG in your area.

Certainly think about a variable speed blower. This will do a lot for humidity removal before stepping up to a 2-stage AC unit.

I would also be curious as the size of the current equipment and how it worked for you so far (too hot in summer? Cold in winter?).

You need to be talking about fixing hot/cold spots now.

You need the ManualJ done to take into account the open/vaulted floor plans. Many size based on 8ft ceilings and fall short due to the vaulted floor plans.

For a 20yr old home, you need to be looking at insulation and sealing. Doors and windows.

• NeedHelpinGA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I got another quote from another large HVAC company and now I am even more confused.

For starters this guy swore up and down that I didn’t need 2.5 Tons upstairs. He also was adamant that I move the downstairs thermostat to a more central location (first guy didn’t mention this). Second quote didn’t think I needed to change anything with the duct work downstairs and first guy thought I would have to cut in an additional return because the newer HVAC’s require more airflow? As Mike mentioned on here the first guy didn’t mention anything about the 4inch upgraded filters whereas the second guy thought you had to have those…

The quotes really aren’t apples to apples because the second guy was insistent that with rebates, the infinity system was only a few hundred dollars more.

See attached proposal

Thanks in advance!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1553559}}

• NeedHelpinGA
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Need help

Questions, observations, and suggestions.

Any idea of size and efficiency of furnaces and condensers you intend to replace?

Any specific problems relating to cooling and heating your home?

What is your location in Georgia?

What is size in living area of upstairs and downstairs zone?

I would not make a decision without having a load calculation performed in writing on the software letterhead broken out for each zone/system.

To the Carrier quote. First, I don't like nor would I have the third party evap coils that dealer quoted on each system. I do question the size of the upstairs furnace-too large.

The furnace quoted for downstairs system is a different model than the upstairs system. It is low end, builder grade. I would not have it. Did you ask for a cheap furnace? I would want at least the same mil as the upstairs system.

Dealer should enlarge the supply ductwork to the MB.

I would want filter media cabinets on both systems, not a rack for a 1" filter.

Post back.

I will review 2nd quote as time is available.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The second quote is a lot more money for smaller AC units. Did you get a quote on the same equipment as the first quote?

The quotes says the company will provide a lifetime parts and labor warranty. Is this true? Are you obligated to take the 6 years of maintenance? Is this once or twice a year?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Need help

I would like to see a load calc in writing for both zones, cooling and heating.

The equipment quoted in second proposal is much nicer and as expected much more expensive.

One thing that I must say is about the furnace size in second proposal. These are very nice two stag var speed 80% models with Infinity stats. 70 KBTU input. The problem here is you would be on low stage all the time. I can't imagine you ever needing the high stage. So in fact, you would be buying something that you would never use. This bothers me and is the reason that you need a load calc in writing. Very nice condensers quoted. However, I am not a proponent of these expensive models for small zones. It is possible to drop down to good single stage models and perhaps save some bux.

Something I would consider.

I am not a proponent of this over the top maintenance. Once a year is fine and really not necessary every year.

IMO