Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about adding central AC unit. Please

Posted by island (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 14:07

Little background.
Original owners of our home, a 2600sq ft 2 story tract home in San Diego. The home is wired, plumbed or whatever it's called, for central AC, but didn't purchase that add on. Didn't think we'd need it and that's been true. Rarely need to turn on heat either and still have the original unit. It's gas, called forced air I think with louvered vents high on the walls in each room.

Thinking of adding central AC now because we've had more summer visitors and it does get warm in the bedrooms when we have to close the bedroom doors and can't take advantage of the usual cross breeze.

It won't be DIY, but was hoping someone could suggest some reliable brands, or things we should keep in mind when looking for reliable contractors. Are some more quiet and narrow? If so can you steer me toward those?

The hook up is at the side of our house where the walkway is narrow between the home and fence. Hoping to find something that doesn't stick out more than the chimney bump out and also quiet since it's directly across from neighbors window. Solid fence so they won't see it.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions for someone who knows nothing about AC.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about adding central AC unit. Please

What is brand, size, and model of furnace?

You might post compete model number.

I would get a good brand-no low end model-13 SEER with matching evap coil. No higher than 75 decibel. New and properly sized lineset. Should be installed to code. A new disconnect at the location. I prefer a poured concrete pad rather than a prefab or plastic model. Location should be close to furnace for best and easy connection. Physical size of condenser really depends on tonnage size of condenser. Guessing 3-3 1/2 tons depending on summer climate and your home's insulation qualities.

While you can probably get any brand, I would lean to the same brand as furnace.

Just a few ideas.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here