Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
register vent fan?

Posted by Tracybug11 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 13:26

I have a split level house in coastal california - no AC, but in the summer, south and west facing windows in the upper level (livingroom and kitchen) allow it to heat up in the later afternoon and evening on really hot days. We don't have enough of those to warrant AC, so I'm trying to come up with another solution. My father suggested installing a register vent with a fan on a high wall with attic behind it, to vent out to the exterior. Would that work? Would it be really noisy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: register vent fan?

That wall your are writing about might be what is called a knee wall. There is attic behind it? If so is it insulated and air-sealed? If not, consider doing that first. It might solve your problem without continued use of electricity.

If you put in a vent and blow into your attic. you must ensure that there is suitable air outlet. If there is not, you can pressurize the attic and hot air might blow back into the house somewhere else.

Noisy, maybe. It depends on how much money you spend. Money buys quality blowers and installation.

o
RE: register vent fan?

Do you have a window that could hold a small AC unit? You could install it in the summer and store it the rest of the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here