Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They won't sell me a flame rollout switch

Posted by californian (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 12:57

I have a Carrier gas furnace and it stopped working with a fault code 33. I jumpered out the flame rollout switch and then it works. The part number is HH12ZB200, and I called several distributors and the part costs $9.90, but they won't sell it to me because I am not a licensed contractor.
Anyone know any company that would sell it, or do I have to pay a licensed contract over a hundred dollars to come out and sell me the part? I know the switch is bad because I removed it and it reads open with an ohmmeter. BTW, what is that little thing in series with the wire that looks like a resistor? I don't see it on the schematic.
BTW, when I installed the furnace 15 years ago they wouldn't sell it to me either, but I paid a licensed contractor $50 to call in the order and wore a sweat shirt that some air conditioning companies name on it to go pick it up at will call myself. So I got the furnace for $470, a small fraction of what a contractor would have charged me. I also got the duct parts at about one third the price a licensed contractor would sell them to me for.
BTW, this is the first problem I had with the furnace in 15 years except for when a bug made a cocoon inside one of the air tubes, blocking it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They won't sell me a flame rollout switch

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=HH12ZB200&_sacat=See-All-Categories

o

send me the hundred so i can pay for all the schooling I had to go through to become a certified tech.

lets see 10.00 part x 3 $ 30,000 plus 95.00
$ 125 to be exact.

o

I have ordered from these guys several times before and am really happy with their service.

I assume they will sell you a rollout switch, the website doesn't say they wont.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parts and troubleshooting.

o

I called around and finally found a company about five miles from me that sold me the the part for $9.41. They didn't ask for a contractors license but must have thought I was one because they didn't charge me sales tax. While I was there I chatted with the guy at the will call counter and was amazed at how cheap one can buy a complete system for if you can get it at the contractor's price. They had a complete Payne system that included a furnace, 3 ton air conditioner, coil, wire, and fuses and some other stuff for $1379. The only thing I would need to supply was a plenum which they said cost $60 and the ducts. He said the high efficiency systems only cost about 20% more. He said I could buy just the air conditioner part for $750. I may go back and buy one and install it myself on top of the carrier furnace I already have.
About 18 years ago a guy at work was remodling his house and sold me his used Rheem furnace and air conditioner for $500 and I installed it myself. I didn't have a vacuum pump so I gave some moonlighting HVAC tech $40 to vacuum out the system and charge it for me. I might have also had to pay him for the freon, I don't remember. I even made my own custom plenum out of sheet aluminum.

o

Freon is cheap but a system must be vacuumed properly for longevity.

o

You're a loser and have no idea what a proper install entails.

Keep thinking you know what things cost.

o

Hook, line, and sinker.

o

Not to mention that you and them are in big trouble if you dont have an EPA card to handle refrigerants. A furnace is one thing, but AC is a different matter. These laws are in place to protect everyone. You may be handy, but safe techniques to flush, braze, test, startup, and troubleshoot take time and training to learn.

Knowingly posing as a contractor when you are not, ( and failure to pay sales tax) is fraud.

o

@juliekcmo The amount charged by the hvac industry is fraud! Almost 6k for a whole new heating and air conditioning system for a 1 bedroom house. The only reason they have these screwy laws is to protect that industry. Hence the reason why I decided to keep my older furnace and a/c system as it has no electronics and is easily diy fixable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here