Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different brand Furnace and AC?

Posted by MikeAtl (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 12:24

Hi, we have an upstairs system with 5 year old Lennox furnace (nice one, two speed fan and burner) and an 18 year old Reem AC. The AC is still running OK, but are considering proactive replacement.

Basic question. We want to keep the furnace as it is nearly new, but replace the AC. Is there any reason to get a Lennox AC unit? Or can a Carrier work OK with a Lennox furnace.

One contractor (sells Carrier) said it would be no problem, but we would be limited to an analog control system and it would require some sort of control board added to the Lennox furnace. We are awaiting a quote.

We have another contractor coming today that offers Lennox. I'm sure he will recommend Lennox AC, but I thought I'd check this forum.

We live in Atlanta, so AC is important. We are staying in the house, so I'd prefer better quality/higher efficiency.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different brand Furnace and AC?

It makes the most sense to put together a matched Lennox system. Since the furnace is only 5 years old, the contractor should be able to find the matching coil and condenser. It not he may be able to find an equivalent matching set with a newer model. It would still be better than trying to fit another brand of equipment.

Don't let the Lennox equipment sway your opinion of the contractor. You have to feel confident the contractor will do a good installation regardless of the brand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here