Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on replacing Apollo Hydroheat

Posted by jdougjo (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 11:34

I have a 2 zone Apollo Hydroheat system that is 18 years old and the air handlers are starting to leak. The air handlers are in the unheated attic and crawl space. All ductwork for the 1st floor is in the crawl space and all ductwork for the 2nd floor is in the attic.

Our house is in Raleigh NC and is about 2400 sq ft with the upstairs having more sq ft because of room over garage that we use a lot, so it needs good cooling and heating. We do have natural gas service. Our winters are generally mild, but January can have plenty of nights in the teens and twenties.

I've got a couple of names of installers I'm going to contact but want to try and get educated before I talk to them.

I was wondering if it makes sense and if it's possible to replace this system with a heat pump/gas furnace combination? But, I'm open to all solutions.

Also, I'm interested in knowing what "options" are worthwhile and what are to be avoided.

Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on replacing Apollo Hydroheat

I'm not too familiar with appollo hydro heat. If I'm not mistaken though, you have forced air - is that correct?

If you have forced air, and natural gas, I would get a gas-forced air furnace and the highest eff. single stage heatpump.

Your climate probably gets plenty of above 30 cooler weather where the heatpump does a nice job. The gas furnace would run when colder out. Ofcourse you could change this switchpoint to whatever you want based on comfort or energy costs.

A new gas furnace with heatpump system should probably run around $6,000. If your paying alot more I would get more quotes. Heatpumps don't cost much more than their straight A/C counterparts.

o

Yes - forced air.

I've tried to read more on this and understand what you're saying.

Since I have 2 separate zones with no ducting between 1st and 2nd floors does this mean I need 2 x everything? 12K? Ouch

o

How is your current system doing the zoning between the 2 different floors?

o

2 totally separate systems. 2 compressors and 2 air handlers.

o

2 totally separate systems. 2 compressors and 2 air handlers.

o

I'm going to get at least 3 estimates, but the company most recommended is an American Standard dealer.

It sounds like a typical downstairs system might be:

American Standard Gold ZM Furnace
Also known as the Freedom 95 Comfort-R

American Standard Gold XI Heat Pump
Also known as the Heritage 15 Heat Pump

Honeywell's VP 8321 Themostat

Honeywell F200 Media Air Cleaner

And for upstairs the same? Or, perhaps HP only? Upstairs has more sq footage and we do spend a lot of time in our bonus room.

We talking 12K or more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here