Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference: Base vs. Comfort models - Carrier?

Posted by newkit1 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 11:09

I understand there is a better warranty (10 yrs - ALL parts) on the Carrier Comfort models vs the Base models, and a different outdoor housing. Are there any internal construction features that would make a practical difference?

We have to make a decision today in order to keep our installation window.

Thanks again for all the helpful information and opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference: Base vs. Comfort models - Carrier?

The Comfort model adds things such as compressor protection switches, a more durable cabinet to protection the coil, better exterior finshes, and compressor covers to make the unit quieter. In general the construction and components are a better quality.

The Base model is designed to be an inexpensive unit for home builers. If you plan to be in the house more than 5 years, then in my opinion the extra money for the Comfort model is a good investment.

o

There may also be a difference as to how the defrost mode operates, timed verses demand, not to mention SEER & HSPF. Have all the details explained and compared.

SR

o

This is EXTREMELY confusing. Carrier seems to have changed their lines. According to the Carrier website, the lowest line was formerly the "Base" series. Now the lowest is called the "Comfort/Base" series, including the 25HBC3 and 25HBC5. The AHRI database shows these as "Base" units.

The next line up is now called "Performance/Comfort" series, and includes 25HCB3, 25HCB6, 25HCC5, 25HPA5, 25HPA6. The first of 3 of these show up on AHRI as "Comfort", and the last two as "Performance" (but discontinued.)

I'm assuming that although Carrier now calls the 25HBC units "Comfort," the preferred one is the 25HCB the appearance is from the Product Data sheets seems pretty similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here