Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weil Mclain boiler won't fire:

Posted by bushleague (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 11:09

Okay my circa 1990 Weil Mclain HE-4 gas boiler refuses to fire. I changed the hot surface ignitor a month ago with no problem and it has been firing fine until today. The ignitor glows and you can hear the relays for the firing sequence, then one more click and the ignitor shuts down. The blower runs fine, and the vacuum appears correct, the gas is on at the meter (I have no other gas appliances). Any ideas here? Oh and the HE-4 does have the flame sensor mod and the ignitor is angled down app 15 degrees toward the gas tubes. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weil Mclain boiler won't fire:

Do you have 24 volts at the gas valve terminals after pre purge?

o
RE: Weil Mclain boiler won't fire:

mr hvac I wasn't getting 24 volts anywhere leading me to believe that the transformer had failed. I reseated all of the terminals on the brain box (white-rogers) then gave it a few taps with my screwdriver handle and it fired. After about two minutes the flame went out, and with the blower still running, fired again. The boiler has always done this, especially when calling for heat. Conversely I have an HE-3 in an income property that pedals like crazy without stopping until the thermostat is satisfied. I would imagine this is a function of the controls, specifically the brain box and not the boiler itself. I did find similar related complaints on a diy forum, and reference to a Weil Mclain brand updated controller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here