Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseygirl_2008

New condenser and Coil

jerseygirl_2008
12 years ago

I live in Houston, TX. I have an American Standard Freedom 80 single stage furnace (AUD100C960K4), which I will not be replacing. I need a new 5 ton condenser and coil. Having read through some of the posts on this site, I am thinking that given the furnace I own, it would not make sense to buy a condenser that is rated over 14 SEER (cannot achieve higher efficiencies unless used with a variable speed furnace). Is this correct??? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Jersey

You are correct.

Look at the XR13 with best matching Trane evap coil.

If you don't have whole house filter cabinet, now would be a good time to add one.

IMO

• jerseygirl_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I saw your recommendation on another post for the Trane Perfect Fit Media cabinet, so I will get a quote on that. Do you recommend that I also get my ducts cleaned or is that a waste of money?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Jersey

I would recommend a new refrigerant lineset.

How are you filtering your return air now?

Central return(s) all with filters?

How large is your home?

Honeywell filter would be OK as well. I prefer the Trane but they can e pricey.

Post back

IMO

• jerseygirl_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, a central return with two 20 x 25 filters. My house is 3,000 sq ft. Honeywell F100?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Jersey

You could also look at AmStd Allegiance 13 AC condenser.

What is the cost of the duct cleaning? I see no reason to do this unless you are experiencing some type of problem.

Since you already ave a HW filter cabinet, I see no reason to replace unless it was a hack job when it was installed. You can visually tell if it is
    tightly sealed and professionally installed.

IMO

• jerseygirl_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry for the bad typing - I was asking if the Honeywell F100 was the one you were recommending in your previous post to me. I currently have a central return with two 20 x 25 filters in my hallway (no whole house filter in the attic). My house is 3000 sq ft; I'm not experiencing any problems, so I probably won't get the ducts cleaned. I will check into the new refrigerant lines though, since I am going to a new refrigerant.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Jersey

I see no reason for the duct cleaning since you have filters at both returns and they are changed out on a regular schedule.

Definitely a new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset.

Weigh the cost difference between the HW F200 and Perfect Fit cabinet.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: F200 HW Filter Cabinet

• jerseygirl_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more question. One of the installers that I received a quote from said that they can offer a better price on the Trane XB14 than on the Trane XR13. ($1000 cheaper for the XB14 condenser and matching coil). This doesn't really make much sense to me, as I thought the XB14 was a more efficient unit. Does it make sense to you?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Jersey

The XB series is not as nice a condenser, noisier. You need to check the warranty on both the XB and XR series. There should not be a separation of $1000 though between the two models.

Weigh the above differences above carefully. If the warranty is the same and the noise difference is not an issue, then go with the XB series.

IMO

• Servicetech
    12 years ago

Look at the 14SEER models. Many will have larger surface area condensers, 850RPM fans (quieter), and high/low pressure switches. Be sure to check the specs before you buy.

I'd also assess the need to a 5 ton unit and if you even have the ductwork to support 2000CFM of airflow. Most ductwork doesn't and you never see the full capacity of the system.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting