Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alcatraz16

Carrier for Townhouse

alcatraz16
13 years ago

I am replacing builder grade York equipment that is 16 years old. Coil was leaking Freon last fall and is rusting. 2200 square foot 3 level townhouse in Northern VA.

Local dealer recommending the following configuration and pricing:

Carrier 58CVA110 2-Stage Infinity Gas Furnace-$2,687

Carrier CNPVP4821A Indoor Evaporator Coil-$487

Carrier 24APA748 4ton 17.5seer 2-Stage A/C Unit-$4,209

Carrier Infinity Thermostat SYSTXCCUID01-B-$484

A.O.Smith FCG-75 Gas Water Heater-$1,245

Three Years Full Labor.

Carrier Rebate 1,000

Does this configuration and pricing make sense for this application?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• fsq4cw
    13 years ago

Why not replace the proposed A/C unit with a HP?

SR

• alcatraz16
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no special reason other than name recognition and ability to service
    you recommend hp over carrier for what reasons? thanks

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

alcatraz
    I would want to see a load calculation for certain-in writing. more is not better. what size furnace and AC are you replacing?

your TH is an interior or exterior unit?

the suggestion of replacing the AC with a HP is worthy of consideration if going with an 80% eff furnace.

I assume a 95%+ eff condensing furnace is not within code of your homeowner's association.

IMO

• seatonheating
    13 years ago

no special reason other than name recognition and ability to service
    you recommend hp over carrier for what reasons? thanks

He means replacing the air conditioner with a heat pump. Not talking about brand, although you may want to consider other manufacturers.

• mike_home
    13 years ago

The size of the furnace and condenser seem big for a 2200 sq. foot townhouse. Is the contractor going by the existing equipment or did he do a load calculation.

What size it the hot water heater? The price quoted seems high for a replacement.

• alcatraz16
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no load calculation has been done. replacing york diamond 80 efficiency furnace and york ac unit (not sure how many ton unit)
    good questions i will ask on wednesday

replacing 75 gal rheem water hot water heater

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

alcatraz

carrier dealer is oversizing you both heating and cooling.

again, get a load calc performed.

is TH an interior or exterior unit?

post back.

IMO

• aliya_ishm_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

hi, I am going through the same process. and also live in northern VA. can you share the contacts of your contractor who quoted you these prices? I would greatly appreciate it. thanks! aliya_ishm@hotmail.com

• TeddyBerk
    11 years ago

Hi alcatraz,

I am looking to replace my 18 year old builder grade/original York, with the identical Carrier system you mentioned above (2 stage Infinity furnace 110 BTU, evaporator coil, 4 ton 2 stage unit, thermostat and hot water heater 75 gallons).

I live in Bethesda, MD and have a 2,200 square foot 3 level townhouse (very simular to your situation).

Which local dealer gave you this quote? are you happy with your system and installation? About to pull the trigger in the next week or so. Very much appreciated if you could get back to me. Thanks,

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Teddy

Rather than hyjacking a two yr old thread, you would be advised to start your own thread to get some answers.

I suspect you are being grossly oversized. Get a load calculation performed.

IMO

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler