Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat pump Thermostat

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 8:43

With my heat pumps, I rarely change the thermostat settings. Except for one of "those special nights" when it is bumped up 4 or 5 degrees for a couple of hours.
It appears that once the auxiliary heat is engaged, it stays that way until the thermostat is fully satisfied. For example, raising the thermostat just one degree does not normally engage the auxiliary heat. But raising it 4 degrees soon starts the auxiliary and it stays in that mode even when the temperature rises to within 1 degree of the increased setting. Are there any thermostats that do not operate this way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat pump Thermostat

A ‘Smart Recovery’ ‘Learning’ thermostat would be able to determine at what time your system would have to turn on to reach your desired set point and hour of day without engaging the backup. The backup is called for whenever there is a demand for heat and the temperature differential between temperature and set point is 2 degrees or greater. This ‘Smart Recovery’ only works with programmed setbacks if I’m not mistaken.

As described, your thermostat is behaving as it should.

SR

o

I agree with above post. Unless you use setbacks, I would leave well enough alone.

IMO

o

I think the OP wants to be able to push up the thermostat 4-5 degrees during any given night and not have the auxiliary heat on until the thermostat is satisfied. Other than that there are no set back periods.

A possible solution would be to install an thermostat which has an external temperature sensor. You can then lock out the auxiliary heat whenever the outside temperature is above a setting you can program. A thermostat like the Honeywell Vision Pro could do this. A typical outdoor temperature setting would be 35 degrees. You would have to experiment what temperature works well with your heat pump. The drawback is it will take longer to raise the temperature, but you will save some money by not using the electric heat strips.

o

A 4-5 degree setback on heating or cooling is too much for a Heat Pump and especially if HP is very close on BTUs to the load calc design temperatures. I would never recommend that.

I would also suggest false economy as well. Using heat strip thermostat would be satisfied fast. Without heat strip heat pump might struggle to recover and run continuously for hours. Then there is the comfort factor to take into consideration.

IMO

o

My question is answered. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here