Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olliemonster

Good Price on Trane 3 Ton XL15i / XL18i?

OllieMonster
10 years ago

Hello,

I have quotes for a Trane 3 Ton air condition and I am curious if these are good prices.

XL15i - $4200
XL18i - $4900

It would be installed in a 2700 sq foot home in NW Ohio.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

All electric?

HP or AC condensers? Includes matching evap coil or air handler?

Would like to see all model numbers as well as better understanding of type system...

IMO

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All electric

AC condensers

Yes, it includes matching evap coil.

A little more info: I have already arranged to replace the furnace with a Trane XV95 and am considering the additional cost of an air conditioner as well.

I will ask about specific model numbers. Any thoughts if I don't get them in a timely manner?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

To be clear, you have nat gas fuel service to your home?

I would assume an 80 K XV95 sized furnace.

You will need a two stage thermostat for best operation for that furnace.

Furnace and condenser will be from same dealer?

What model evap coil? You want the model that offers the best performance/ efficiency numbers. Trane only, no third party model. New lineset, filter box included?

Post back.

IMO

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do have natural gas to my home.

A two stage thermostat is included with the furnace.

Everything will come from the same dealer but the furnace purchase has already been arranged.

I still don't have exact model numbers and I'm not sure if I'll get them today. I was assured that the coil will matching and recommended by AHRI.

A new lineset is included with the AC installation and the filter box with the furnace.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Matching and best matching are two different things.

What Mdl thermostat?

Do you mind sharing cost of furnace? 80 K XV95 size?

Post back.

IMO

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have the thermostat paperwork on me but I know it was a Honeywell and I believe 7500 was the model nubmer...?

I actually won the furnace at a home show. It is a Trane XV95, 80K BTU.

I contacted another company to get additional quotes:
    Trane 4TTX6036 up to 16 SEER XL16i 3 Ton Condenser with two stage cooling
    Trane 4TXCC007 high-efficiency cooling coil
    Reclaim refrigerant
    Remove existing condenser, coild and line set from ome
    New condenser pad
    New outdoor disconnect (install disconnect 18" above ground level)
    Low voltage wiring
    All sheet metal and fiberglass alterations
    Drain
    New A/C line set, sight glass, locking caps, evacuate system and startup
    All taxes, permit, and labor
    $4400

Other options:
    Trane 4TTX8036 up to 18 SEER XL18i 3 Ton condenser with two stage cooling
    Trane matching cased high-efficiency cooling coil
    $4800

Trane 4TTX4048 up to 14 SEER XL14i 3 Ton condenser with R-22 refrigerant
    Trane matching cased high-efficiency cooling coil
    $3300

Thanks!

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FIX: The quote for the XL14i is for a 4 Ton unit, not 3

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

Confusing quotes you listed..

1st off, 4TTX6036 what is the letter after 36. Is that an old XL16i ? if it is than it wil be 2 stage but if not it will be single stage. Now the 4TTX8036 is 2 stage .

2nd there is no such thing as an XL14i anymore and has not been for some time. why the change in size from 3 ton to 4ton? load calculation done ? if so following it?

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

On the quote, there is no letter after the 36. That's a little bothersome. So an old XL16i is two stage but not a new one? I did see lots of old posts about issues with these. Are the single stage ones better?

There is a note on the quote regarding the XL14i that it is in a warehouse but has never been installed. It says that "it would give you a little more capacity when it gets really hot outside".

Any thoughts on what my best option is?

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

" It says that "it would give you a little more capacity when it gets really hot outside". "

Tells me he has no interest in sizing your ac correctly only in getting your money. That being said for your location 2 stage maybe overkill with long return on investment.

XL16i 2 stage units are now XL18i units. Trane rebadged alot of there equipment ... kinda even confuses me sometimes.

Look at the new XL16i single stage systems (4ttx6036H)
    with matching evap coil. Good value

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

I'll ask the original installer (the one with the free furnace) about the XL16i, single stage.

What about the XL15i that he's offering? From the posts I've been reading, I think the price is high but I really don't know for sure. Plus the second guy told me that the XL15i hasn't been manufactured for about 2 years. Is that right?

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

yes the XL15i has been rebadged to XL16i... like last year not 2 years ago. The first contractor may have the XL15i in his warehouse. if uninstalled and willing to give you good deal..... might be worth looking into.

would want full model numbers on 1st contractors XL15i system. what evap coil is he using?

• OllieMonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I asked the first guy for model numbers on the XL15i:

TTX6036 (isn't this a model number for the XL16i??)
    TXCB036 (the coil, right?)
    TUH2B080 (the furnace)

I think the more questions I ask, the more confused I'm getting.

Any thoughts? Would I be getting a XL15i or a XL16i? If it's the XL16i, I can't tell if it's single stage or two stage without the letter after the 36, right?

Either way, hows the price?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

5858131 Active Systems XL16I TRANE 4TTX6036H1 4TXCB036BC3 1020 *UH2B080A9V3 35200 12.00 14.50 1 RCU-A-CB 294

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

Need letter after 36. need full model numbers so you know exactly what equipment you are buying........ are you sure this contractor is good? seems he is being vague on what he is selling you. Even if he gives you great equipment if he can't install it correctly it won't operate as well as it could.
    Hard to comment on price until we know what he is proposing.

• Steve Cahoon
    6 years ago

was given the following quotes for $16,650.00: wondering feedback? THANK YOU!

Trane 4TTx8036 3Ton 2 Stage A/C XL 18i

Aspen ACE48D44175 Cased Coil

Trane S9v2B080U3 Gas Furnace

Trane TCONT824 WIFI thermostat

PAD and Pump UPS For heat pump

Bradford White Power Vent Gas Water Heater

All necessary ductwork, refrigeration condensation piping, high and low voltage wiring

• tigerdunes
    6 years ago

ridiculous pricing and the 3rd party evap coil is a big red flag!

get a quote from Am STD dealer.

IMO

• sktn77a
    6 years ago

You're better starting your own thread rather that tagging onto a 4 year old one - most people will see the original date and move on. Price is high, especially with a 3rd party coil. Trane dual fuel systems tend to be outrageously priced by Trane dealers. You mention a heat pump but your condenser is just AC. Which is it? Regardless, keep looking.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County