Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Alarm / Shutoff

Posted by lexluthor (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 8:13

I'm looking to install a water leak alarm / shutoff.

I'll have it professionally installed.

I have a Weil McLain oil boiler with a Weil McLain indirect WH has well.

What should I be looking for? What are my options? Do I need multiple devices for each zone or does one shutoff just get installed at the water input to the boiler and then a pad gets put on the floor somewhere near the boiler/WH?

Feel free to suggest specific items in different price ranges.

Is this something I might want to integrate into my home alarm system as well or is that more complicated/costly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Alarm / Shutoff

Some thermostats, like the Ecobee wi fi stat, have some open connectors that could have sensors like a wet switch or open doors, added to them. A wi fi stat can send you an email if the sensor switch is tripped.

o

I'm more looking for the physical device that shuts off the water if a leak is detected.

I think that'll be the first/main line of protection.

o

I recently had a pretty major flood. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but a taco valve malfunctioned and somehow water was pouring out of the safety release for some time.

I'd like to have some way of preventing that from ever occurring again.

What's the best way (reasonably priced) to protect myself?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here