Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blown fuse on Heat Pump

Posted by hart71 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 4:20

I have a Goodman system with a Heat Pump w/ aux heat. I bought a new thermostat for the unit and initially wired it incorrectly, but have since corrected it however the unit won't come on at all. I have checked for a blown fuse, but can't find a fuse at all. There is not one in the disconnect box outside by the heat pump, is there another place it might be? Is there another reason the unit might not be coming on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blown fuse on Heat Pump

On my heat pump, a small 3 amp fuse is located on the side of the quick disconnect plug that connects the transformer + and - wire to the main controller board. You cannot see the fuse unless you pull the plug off the contoller board.

o
RE: Blown fuse on Heat Pump

Sniffdog is correct. Sounds like the low voltage fuse or the transformer is DOA. Easy way to check is pop your thermostat off and touch the red & green wire together. If everything is ok with the furnace, the fan should kick in. If it does, your problem is else where. If it doesn't kick in, you can check to see if you do indeed have a 3-5 amp fuse inside your indoor unit control panel. If you don't then more than likely you have blown the transformer by wiring the thermostat incorrectly.

*** I highly suggest calling a service tech as this is HIGH VOLTAGE your dealing with and it can be deadly****

Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here