Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a new 90 Plus furnace myself. Needs a platform?

Posted by svejkovat (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 3:19

What is "convention"? does it depend on local code? I got a 1998 Ruud 90 plus furnace from a neighbor who is upgrading. I'm replacing a BARD that is about sixty years old and about 50 percent effecient

Does the new furnace rest right on the concrete floor or do I need to put it on some sort of platform to comply with code?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a new 90 Plus furnace myself. Needs a platform?

I don't know the codes in your area, but I do know the ones where I live are very strict. My furnace sits on small rubber feet about a half inch thick. You may want to raise the furnace if your basement is prone to flooding.

o

I'm not sure. Mine which is an upflow unit on a slab that is at grade, is sitting on an air box where the return air connects. Return air comes down from ceiling, attaches to box, furnace is 1 inch to the right, filter at bottom blower unit.

My parents is essentially the same, though located below grade. Sitting directly on the concrete seems to make it prone to corrosion.

o

Cinder blocks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here