Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Natural Gas Furnace?

Posted by konrad___far_north (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 2:53

Think I should change furnace,..35 years old!

Anything out there what will run this long or longer?
Was looking at a Lennox today at the home show, but not so sure with the heat exchanger, being aluminized steel? Was asking salesman how long it will last,..said about 15 years with yearly maintenance.
Looks like they want to rip me yearly! Haven't had outside maintenance done on my old one in 35 years, can change belt, filter or motor myself and lube bearings.

HEAT EXCHANGER
I'm thinking if something is better out there, like copper or stainless steel heat exchanger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Natural Gas Furnace?

A good gas furnace should last 20-25 years. You are not going see anything made today that will last 35 years without some major repairs.

The better furnaces have lifetime warranties on the heat exchanger. This covers only the parts and not the labor. Most heat exchangers fail due to the furnace being oversized compared to the duct work. Heat exchanger design has changed from the old days in an attempt to improve the heat transfer characteristics and improve the efficiency.

o

Given the issues with modern furnaces (reliability, longevity, etc), you might want to wait until you HAVE to replace your trust old furnace.

o

Thank you so much,...another LONG winter ahead and couldn't decide.

Are there any long lasting heat exchangers,..stainless steel or other non corroding materials?

o

Which brand would you most trust??

o

In my opinion bad installations are the cause of the majority of cracked heat exchangers. Furnaces which run too hot and short cycle will cause the heat exchanger to die a premature death.

The other problem is in order to win the high efficiency race, manufacturers are using materials which have high rates of heat transfer. It is great for efficiency but not necessarily good for longevity.

I would trust Carrier/Bryant, and Trane/American Standard. Buy a furnace that has a lifetime heat exchanger warranty. Find a contractor who will do a good installation.

o

Thank you Mike!
These brands have more unsatisfied consumers,..see link.
Olsen has top rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Reviews of AMANA furnaces

o

Don't take ANY stock in those ratings. What they should be rating are the installers. Most problems arise from the installation, followed by neglect of the homeowner of a new system.
Furthermore, most people are more apt to post a commentary / review when they are dissatisfied.

As the other poster said - Carrier or Trane, or their sisters Bryant and American Standard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here