Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas water heaters and combustion air

Posted by brannag (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 23:59

Does anyone know if the space in a 2 car garage is big enough to offset the need to install a combustion air vent for a gas water heater? The water heater has already been installed for some time before they were required to use combustion air in my area, but a home inspector came by and wants to know if it should be installed to meet quality expectations before selling the house.

The water heater is 40,000 btu's, 50 gallons, and the garage is 8 feet tall, 25 feet wide, 15 feet in depth. Thanks for any help.

This post was edited by brannag on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 0:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas water heaters and combustion air

All water heaters are different and venting for "make-up" or combustion air is based on the manufacturer's recommendation and state or local code.

The reason/logic for venting is that you have no way of knowing what the infiltration of fresh air might be or where it might come from.

Below is a link to an example........only an example (see page 13)

Here is a link that might be useful: Typical installation for a water heater

This post was edited by audiomixer on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 1:30

o

If the house was built with the hot water heater in the garage and you have never experienced a problem, then you are probably OK. The air combustion rules are becoming an issue for appliances inside tightly sealed houses.

How tight are the garage doors? If you feel any draft around the door seal then I wouldn't be concerned.

o

i would be nervous having a gas water heater in an enclosed garage.

o

Why you say that, weedmeister?

o

An open flame in an enclosed area with flammable gas all around.

o

You need to get the water heater up of the floor.

18-24 inches IIRC to avoid gasoline vapors.

And well protected from vehicle impacts.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 14:22

o

Gas water heater installation in garages is very common in my West Coast location.

Protected from impact - yes, raised off the floor, no longer necessary. For at least the last 10 years, new water heaters come equipped with a design to prevent flammable vapor ignition. Also, gas appliance equipped garages are supposed to have floor and rafter level fresh air openings, which (theoretically) should be able to disperse a gas or fume buildup.

Residential gas explosions aren't common, and the ones I recall involved propane, especially at occasionally used mountain vacation homes in remote locations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here