Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosspower

New Heat Pump Recommendations

HossPower
10 years ago

Hello all. I am looking for any advice or recommendations that will help me decide what system/set - up to have installed In my home. Here is a little info on my home. It was built In 1971, approx 2400 sq ft, located In deep east texas (extremely humid), insulation 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the best). I have only gotten one quote so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here is the quote.

They propose to replace my existing system with a new 5 ton Lennox 13 seer heat pump system. Included will be a new system, new supply plenum, new supply taps, seal the supply and return plenum, run a new piece of duct over the top of the air handler and secure it, replace crushed piece of pipe, auxiliary drain pan, safety float switches, new outdoor concrete pad, filter drier, new digital non programmable thermostat, platform for air handler to sit on and all labor and materials are included.

�13 seer Lennox 5 ton heat pump system.
13HPX-060 outdoor condenser
CBX25UH-060 air handler
ECB25-20CB heat kit
Warranty is 10 year compressor, 10 year parts and 1 year labor.
�Total investment on this system is $6,850.00.

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You are in an all electric situation and nat gas is not available?

Here is my general spec sheet for new system.
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

I am not a fan of Lennox brand including their HPs. You have been quoted a builder grade model. The price quoted is much better than the equipment.

IMO

• Mossonarock
    10 years ago

I'm jealous. My contractor didn't give me nearly as detailed of a quote as you got. I didn't even know what they were going to install until one day, Surprise! They didn't even put in the intake for the air handler where I wanted it. I submitted a complaint to the BBB. Now, the contractor is at least acting like they are willing to listen to how I want the system set up. ERGGHHH!

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

Bottom of the line Lennox system with a typical installation (ie nothing fancy or out-of-the-ordinary). I'd get a couple more estimates. I'm always suspicious of dealers who refer to this as an "investment"!

• HossPower
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the input. i am in the process of getting another estimate now. i would prefer to get a quality system not just a base model. usually i wouldnt expect a base system to be a "quality system". also should the person doing the estimate do a load calc or recommend some one that could do it? the company that did this estimate didnt mention load calc, they just looked at the size of the old unit. again thanks for the info.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need a load calc performed. Of course I can't see home. What size system are you replacing. Unless you have average building and insulation qualities plus poor windows, I don't see the need for a 5 ton system. A load calc will confirm one way or another.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Don't let a contractor connect a 5 ton air handler to a duct work system which can barely handle 4 tons of air flow. An over sized AC is a bad choice for a humid climate. Find a contractor who will do a load calculation, or do one yourself.