Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bryant quote and selection

Posted by crosstalk (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 23:33

My 10 year old furnace is leaking carbon monoxide. All AC contractors say it needs to be replaced, and since my system is 10 years old, they all suggest replace the whole thing (furnace + AC).
Among all quotes I got, it seems Bryant quotes are the lowest. However, I need help to choose which configuration/price works for me. I live in central Texas, so AC is definitely more important than furnace.

These quotes are all based on 2 ton, 16SEER.

quote 1: Bryant Legacy
116BNA024
313AAV024045
standard thermostat
10 year parts, 1 year labor warranty
$4795

quote 2: Bryant Preferred
126BNA024
313AAV024045
standard thermostat
10 year parts, 1 year labor warranty
$5403

quote 3: Bryant Evolution
187BNA024
315AAV036070
Evolution control
10 year parts/labor warranty
$6198 (including $1000 Bryant rebate)

quote 2 is very similar to quote 1, except that the Preferred AC is quieter an sturdier. quote 3 is high end (2 stage, variable speed, humidity control).

We are concerned by the noise, since the outdoor compressor is just outside the guest bedroom, and my mom was not happy about our current Rheem (builder grade). Per spec, the Legacy one is 76DB, Preferred is 71DB, Evolution is 72DB. Is there a lot difference between that? We don't know if it worth $800 or $1500.

And is 2 stage quieter than 1 stage?

And does the price sounds reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bryant quote and selection

What size is your home?

What size AC and furnace are you replacing?

What are the mdl numbers of evap coils quoted?

Post back.

IMO

o

The AC I'm replacing is 2 ton. It is for 1260 sqft upstairs. The AC downstairs is 4 ton (which is still working perfectly), and downstairs is 1610 sqft.
I don't know the furnace size that I'm replacing. It looks none of the contractors pay too much attention to furnace size here.

The Evaporator/Fan-coil number are:
quote 1: CNPHP3017
quote 2: CNPHP3017
quote 3: CNPHP2417

Thanks!
=========================================================
Posted by tigerdunes (My Page) on Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 7:09
What size is your home?
What size AC and furnace are you replacing?

What are the mdl numbers of evap coils quoted?

Post back.

IMO

o

I been studying different package combo gas furnace/ac systems and the differences in DB ratings. A AC two stage is quieter then a single stage since it usually runs on the low stage. Here are links to Bryants website and links to the consumer brochures that mention the differences. I decide to go with the top end Evolution in both gas furnace and AC and controller. It worth it to me to get the best since my last was the best the last time and it lasted over 20 years. Surprise is that they now do not have to do any re-work of my system since my old gas furnace was high efficiency which has the dual vents! Save myself $600 already!

Controller: http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/marketing/01-8110-997-25-062111.pdf

AC:
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/marketing/01-8180-203-25-092911.pdf

Gas Furnace:
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/marketing/01-8180-203-25-092911.pdf

Bryant Website:
http://www.bryant.com/

o

Hi Crosstalk,

I got a message form my Bryant dealer sales guy and he knows nothing about the $6198 (including $1000 Bryant rebate). Can you provide more info on Bryant rebate as to where you got it from? Is it from your dealer, distributor or Bryant itself. And is it posted on the website? Thanks.

Harry

o

Harry,
My dealer said it is a manufacturer rebate, so I need to pay $7198 to them upon completion, and a $1000 check will be mailed to me in 4-6 weeks. I'm not 100% sure who issues this rebate, but it can't be the dealer(it should be an instant rebate if it is from the dealer).
Do you also get quotes for Bryant packages? How's the pricing?

o

Crosstalk,

You have a big variation in sizes in furnaces (70K to 45K BTU). The Evolution furnace would seem to be over sized. The Preferred furnace size would be more appropriate. The contractor should perform a load size calculatiion to make sure.

o

Mike,
Thanks a lot for pointing out the furnace size issue. I don't know that. None of the contractors ever discussed it with me. I'll talk to the contractor about this.

o

I got reply from the contractor. He said he chose 70000BTU because it is a variable speed furnace, and he doesn't think we should downsize it to 45000BTU. Does that make sense?

o

Hi Crosstalk,

My Bryant dealer said that Bryant may have a rebate in March so I holding until I know what is taking place.

The Evolution 98M gas furnace is a modulating type that goes up and down between like 40% to 90% of the BTU! When it runs at the lower settng like 40%; it runs slow and saves energy and is much quieter too. Refer to the gas furnace link I provide from Bryant. I read that it has 60 stages too; not just the 2 or 3 stage variable.

Harry

o

Crosstalk,

Are the three quotes from three contractors? I can't tell if contractors are quoting multiple options.

For the furnace you have listed, this is what I have been able to find about input and outpur ratings:

313AAV024045: Input 44K BTU, Output 36K BTU

315AAV036070: Input 66K BTU, Output 54K BTU (High stage), 35K BTU (Low stage)

The Preferred furnace is a single stage furnace, the Evolution is a two stage variable speed furnace. Given your mild winters and the size of the upper floor, the 45K BTU furnace should be sufficient, but a load calculation should be done to confirm it. Most contractors don't want to be bothered and will use a rule of thumb based on area.

The Evolution furnace and controller is a much nicer furnace. Unfortunately the 70K size is the smallest. If you did get this furnace, then it most likely operate primarily in the low stage. It would go to the high stage whenever you had a temperature set back of more than 5 degrees, and then only for a short period of time.

The variable speed furnace will allow you to match it with a two stage Evolution AC condenser. This condenser is quietest in terms of noise. Therefore if a quiet condenser is important to you, then spending the extra money on the Evolution system makes sense in your case. You will also be more comfortable in winter and summer.

The contractor may already know the date of the Bryant rebate and may want to schedule the installation in order to qualify for the rebate. I recommend you get the 10 labor warranty from Bryant as contrator No. 3 has proposed. I also recommend a 4 inch media filter if it can fit in the return.

o

Crosstalk

Obviously, option #3 is the nicer system.

However, that is the smallest size in the Evolution 80 and it is doubtful you would ever require high stage on that furnace.

If I was leaning toward option #3, I would ask for a price on the Preferred Series of AC condensers, both the two stg and single stage 15 SEER. Might save you some dollars. Not certain if it would affect the rebate.

I would want a 4-5" media filter cabinet.

IMO

o

We've decided to go with the Evolution settings as in quote 3. Thanks guys for help!
Mike, thanks a lot for going into details about the furnace size and giving recommendations. The quotes are from one dealer, but another Bryant dealer also gives very similar quotes except he quoted 3 ton. That's oversized.
The rebate is also offered by the other Bryant dealer on evolution system, so I guess it may be regional.
I already uses 4 inch media filters in my current one, so I guess they are just going to use the old cabinet?

o

tigerdunes,
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I did ask the dealer to quote me three preferred systems. It seems no rebate is offered on them, nor does the dealer really want to sell them(don't know why). So they turn out to be close or even more than Evolution. The cheapest Preferred quote was my quote #2. Plus, the price on the preferred line doesn't include the 10 year labor warranty.
I believe the dealer may just have too many Legacy or Evolution in stock.
I will double check about the media cabinet.

o

Harry,
Thanks for inputs! We've scheduled installation next week. I hope you will get a price you like!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here