Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need two new Heat Pumps - comparing Trane / Carrier / Lennox

Posted by sylviamohawk76 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 23:29

I have read with interest previous posts regarding the 3 brands I have listed in my subject line. These are the brands that were recommended to me for comparison as the top brands in quality.

I got a lot of good information from your posts and have some ideas of what to look for in the units and what to compare between them. Howvever, I am a single mom and I don't want to be taken advantage of by a salesman.

Can you give me some advice on appropriate questions to ask the dealer / sales person?

I have a two story house at just under 3,200 sf. I have two units which are 16 years old and both have leaks in the coils of the air handlers. My electric bill is budgeted at $350.00 / month.

The first floor is about 1400 s.f. and uses a 2.5 ton Trane XL 1000 HP.

The second floor is about 1800 s.f. and uses a 3 ton Trane XL 1000 HP.

I am planning to install 15 seer units. Price will play a big part in my decision as this is going to be a very expensive repair / purchase. I live in central Florida and a/c is used the most with the heat being used less than 14 days or so per year.

I read on one of the posts that Trane's higher price may be due to their advertising. Do you agree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need two new Heat Pumps - comparing Trane / Carrier / Lennox

Sylvia

Non coastal location?

I prefer a small dealer where owner is actively involved in business, sales and service/repair.

Not a fan of Lennox heat pumps.

Here is my checklist. Correct sizing is important for comfort and operating cost.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and
inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
best matching VS air handler
full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
scroll compressor preferred
electronic demand defrost preferred
thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
staged backup heat strips
new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
10 yr warranty compressor and parts
AHRI matching number for the system quoted

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on location and winter climate, I would not purchase a new HP
system that did not have electronic demand defrost feature. Electronic demand defrost eliminates unnecessary, nuisance, and expensive defrost
calls. Not important though for your location.

Trane and it's dealers do think highly of the brand, sometimes a little too much. Look at their sister brand, American Standard that is very similar and usually priced better.
IMO

o

I don't mean to be butting in, I am no expert, but my husband has been in the a/c business all his life. Which is UM, a LONG time.
All the units you named come off the same assembly line. One goes one way, and a name is put on it and another goes down another line and a different name is put on it.

Just IMO that I have heard all our married life.

Creek

o

What you said is partially true. Carrier, Trane, and Rheem build equipment in their own respective factories. These factories may also build equipment with other brand names (Bryant, American Standard, and Rudd). Carrier has other brand names such as Payne which also may be built in the same factory.

All the brands use components made by third party manufacturers. The components will vary in specification and performance level. The overall design of the equipment will determine how well these components will perform over a long period of time.

The statement that equipment from all brands is the same is misleading.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here