Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating a Mudroom

Posted by nreeves (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 23:23

We have an existing breezeway/mudroom, it is 15'X8' and attaches the garage to the kitchen. It also has a backdoor to the yard. Both sides have 2 large windows that are directly across from one another. It is on a poured slab. It has insulated walls with drywall and wood paneling. It is ugly and we don't use it because it is unheated and we live in Michigan and it is freezing out there. The plan is to put in built in bench/open locker/hooks, tile the floor and really utilize this awesome space. Before we do anything we need to figure out how to heat this area. I have looked into some options and need some advice... in-floor heating, wall heaters, baseboard radiators, radiant panel's... my head is spinning! I need some opinions! Most likely we will have to do electric, I don't think it is realistic to do a hot water system, oil, propane etc. I don't think it is smart to run ductwork from our gas furnace. I need to know what is the most efficient way to keep this space comfortable (60 degrees maybe) all winter long. Any input would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating a Mudroom

I would recommend electric in-floor radiant. I would also strongly recommend a Schluter Ditra decoupling membrane under the floor tiles and over the in-floor radiant to reduce the risk of cracked tiles. I would also recommend an epoxy grout that is both waterproof and will not stain or discolor.

Please see the links below:

http://www.suntouch.com

http://www.schluter.com/2080.aspx

http://www.mapei.com/public/COM/products/kerapoxytds_ea.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Touch

o

Since you have gas, you might consider some sort of wall-mounted gas heater, vented or ventless.

o

Your plan sounds great.

I agree with weedmeister, a smallish gas wall mount should easily handle 120 sq feet. I'd also get vented rather than unvented since the room is mostly closed up. Your placement options may be a bit limited by code requirements for the exhaust duct, they often state minimum distances from opening windows and doors.

Heat using any kind of gas will likely be cheaper to operate than any kind of electric radiant heating.

o

Thanks for the ideas, I was recently looking at this http://www.wayfair.com/Mr.-Heater-20000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Vent-Free-Wall-Space-Heater-MHVFB20TB-NG-MXH1055.html. It is so cold in there I wonder if the heated floor would be enough to keep the room warm... my brain is so torn LOL!

o

Radiant floor heating will work. The main issue is that it will take quite a while to heat up.

Having better insulated windows (

o
RE: Heating a Mudroom rest of message

Having windows with a U factor < 0.2 would also go a long way to keeping the space warm. The slab as it exists could also be contributing to the cooling effect.

If you use forced air heating, the space will heat up quicker than radiant floor systems. If the slab is not thermally broken/ isolated from the ground or the windows are losing heat, the heater will be on quite a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here