Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amna_gw

Wall panel hot water radiator?

amna
16 years ago

Hi,

We are thinking of replacing our cast iron hot water radiators with the "european style" flat panel radiators - primarily because the rooms are rather small, the radiators take up a lot of space and somehow end up being the focal point of the room. Looking to replace with something less obtrusive but with similar excellent heating capabilities. Was wondering if people had any experiences (good and bad) with Runtal, Myson, Veha or Buderus that could help narrow our choices. Runtal seems to be quite a bit more pricey than Veha for example so is that a reflection on the quality of the product?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amna

Comments (5)

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

We are thinking about using flat panel radiators on our new build. Here is what I have discovered (not sure if I am 100%). The less expensive radiators, such as Myson and Veha, use convection heat as well as radiant as part of the design. They have Aluminum fins designed much like baseboards to promote convection. The Runtals are designed for 100% radiant (although some convection will take place with any radiator) like the old cast iron radiators. The Runtals are thinner and apear to do a little better with lower water temp levels.

I would also like to hear about experiences others have with flat panel radiators and any other brands we should be looking at.

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

after researching, talking to plumbers who specialize in hydronic heat, and pricing out all the panels i have found that runtals have one of the best reputations, but also the highest price. Too high for our heating budget which is low if you take the $4500 for the wood stove out of the equation.

I have heard from several heating/plumbing guys that mysons (and other inexpensive brands that they did not specify or I do not remember) we lacking in quality and construction.

I had several recommendations for buderus and one for veha. In looking into both, it appears they are the same and most likely produced in the same east asian factory. Veha's models are the same ones that buderus stocks. Buderus has many models that veha does not, but lead time is something like 6 weeks.

Veha sells direct and my plumbing supply house (where i get 40% off list) carries buderus. Veha has great customer service, at least that has been my experience so far. They respond to emails usually with-in an hour. My buderus customer service has been through a middle man, my plumbing supply house. Veha is over 50% cheaper than the buderus at my good price. Veha say they ship out next day and I do not pay sales tax. Buderus is over 10 days, I pay tax but no shipping. I am going with veha.

• dave11
    15 years ago

I went searching for the same info, and found this site. Was curious what other have found, and if Veha was the final choice. I'm preparing to install a string of new radiators, and so far Veha seems the way to go.

• mikeyvon
    15 years ago

I have ordered and received my Veha radiators. I have yet to install them. They look like they are great quality. I will be running the pex for them starting this weekend.

• matt.hayes
    15 years ago

Mikey,

let us know how it goes; very interested to hear your impression of the quality of construction after install

thanks