Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motel Room HVAC Incremental Unit Heat Pumps

Posted by hsur (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 21:53

I am looking for information on purchase cost and energy efficiency information on the Heat pump units that hotels use to heat and cool individual rooms? We need to add supplemental heat to a 1000 square foot finished walk out section in our basement. The basement will stay around 60 degrees F during the cold months (southern Michigan) when we open up the 4 furnance registers from our gas forced air furnance. The area is used about 50 percent of the time during the winter and would like to not have to run additional cold air returns/heat ducts plus am not not sure the furnance for our 2000 square foot ranch is sized for the the additional area. I would like to not run the baseboard resistance heater system due to the more expensive operating costs. any thoughts or advice on ways to add supplemental heat to a finished basement section.
Thanks
Harold

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motel Room HVAC Incremental Unit Heat Pumps

Have you thought of a mini-split? You can learn more at http://www.mrslim.com/, but other companies like Fujitsu also make them. I think I heard they can be pretty effective/efficient so they're definitely worth checking out.

o

The GE Zoneline units are one of the most common brands found in motel rooms, and they are also often used in smaller apartments. They have models that use heat pumps for heating. You will want to look at the 5800 series, because these are the ones with a defrost cycle, and they can run resistance heat to maintain the room temperature during the defrost. Some of of the other heat pump models are really intended only for warmer climates, and they only run as heat pumps down to 40 degrees F or so, and below that they'll just switch over to resistance heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Zoneline dealer

o

One other nice feature of the 5800 is use of backup heat. Every other PTHP I know of turns off the compressor if it isn't keeping up. The 5800 leaves it on since it is still very efficient and just adds backup.

Also GE maintains their own service fleet so if there is a problem you won't have to search for someone who will work on the unit.

o

Thanks for the options. The mini-splits and the GE 5800 look like they will do the job. Need to start to do some heat loss calculations to make sure we are picking the correct size unit. Then start to look at the pricing of the units and electrical service needs.

Harold

o

HVAC Calc is a good heat loss calculation program if you are looking for one. The homeowner version is $49.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here