Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

moving a newly installed boiler?

KateB22
10 years ago

hi
I am having a new house built. Thankfully things are going well with the house and builder. The only thing I have had to fix and am still working on (and spending too much fixing my mistakes but wanting to still end up satisfied) is my boiler.
I wrote another post about how I don't like my new boiler. I have looked into it further and am realizing a lot of the problem with the noise is the placement of the boiler in the basement.
I would be willing to pay the installers to move it if it wasn't too very extensive and expensive to do so.
I will ask the company themselves in the next day or so, but I am trying to get info here first before I ask. ( I also emailed my builder/contractor to ask him).

Basically- we installed it where we did because that is where the contractor had the extra flue installed into the chimney. Ia m still not sure exactly where I would move it to- I have a general idea- but letm e explain why the current location is bad:

It is right under the living room, and it is now very loud in the living room. It is also under the front entryway hall.
It is also right next to the basement stairs, and the sound travels a lot up the basement stairs and the stairs to the upstairs.

when I go in the front door to the entryway and then the living room it s ultra loud ( and it is not a problem with the install btw or any problems). It feels like the boiler should be tucked in some back corner and not in the front/living rm.

So how big of a deal is it to move the boiler to a different part of the basement?

I mean, is it maybe one days work for two guys? I know the plumber had to end the radiant heat at the boiler so he would have to adjust that too.

The other thing is, I spoke with a soundproofing company and they are coming for a consult . It will be quite expensive to do but given the end result I think it will be worth it. HE says they can build basically a sound proof box around it and reduce the sound anywhere from 60% to (even as much sometimes as) 90% quieter, depending on how much I pay them to do how many layers of the soundproofing things.

I am going to have that done. But I am still concerned that the location of the boiler is really bad.

If I am willing to pay to have it all done to where I will like it best, how big of a deal is it to move the boiler to a new spot? Also, if we move it more than a little, it will not be able to vent into the chimney flue. I do not want a side wall vent. So canI have them put a pipe up through the roof and vent it from anywhere in the basement?

I realize these are things I should have researched long before having it installed but I really did not expect it to be so loud and at the time of install there was a lot going on already. I guess I thought it had to be by the chimney--- but now I realize perhaps they can put a vent through the roof.
Thanks for any clarification on if it is a big deal to move an installed boiler to a new location in the basement or not?

Comments (3)