Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wear_your_baby

Help please! New Const. Bryant & York quotes VA

wear_your_baby
14 years ago

We live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and we're building a one-story 1940 sq. ft. house with 9 ft. ceilings on a full (unfinished, for now) walk-out basement. We will have 2x6 construction and we're adding the best insulation we can afford and hoping to have decent windows/doors.

The more reputable dealer has given us two options, and says he will use the computer to better calculate specifics closer to final decision-time.

Option #1: Bryant 3 ton, 13 seer HP Model#213ANA036000

Bryant 93% Gas Furnace, Model #340AAV036060

Bryant 3 Ton Evaporator Coil, Honeywell Pro 8000 Thermostat,

410A Refrigerant in HP. Includes Metal trunk duct w/ R-8, R-8 Flex duct for branch and return ducts, All ducts sealed, Copper line sets, plastic pads for heat pump. $8,250.00

Option #2: Bryant 3 Ton 16 Seer 2-stage Model #225ANA030000

Bryant 93% 2-Stage variable Speed Gas furnace, Model 355MAV42060,

Bryant 2.5 ton Evaportator Coil, Honeywell Pro 8000 Thermostat, 410A refrigerant in HP,

install the same as above option. $12,750.00

Any input? I have been reading and reading and this stuff is really blowing my mind.

Another (larger company) who is probably not as professional/organized provided three York options:

Option #1 - R410 4 Ton York w/ gas backup (tg9s lp gas furnace), 13 seer heat pump. Incl. metal duct w/ R-8, flex, pad, lineset, grills, registers, and Gas lines to 3 fixtures $11,500

Option #2 - Upgrade HP to 14.5 seer LX, yhif $12,700

Option #3 - York yze 048 2-stage w/ variable speed 90 plus model yp9c furnace, touch screen stat. 14.5 seer $12,900.00

I'd truly appreciate any input you might have. I'm just lost and afraid of making a bad decision. Do I need to get some new quotes in here?

Comments (7)

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

You're going about this decision wisely, doing as much research you can beforehand. The Bryant dealer seems more thorough (the bid is much more detailed) and apparently plans to do a load calc to PROPERLY size the units for your comfort and efficiency down the road. I don't see this in the York bids, which is apparent since they're quoting a 4 ton unit for 2000 sqft new construction. (which says nothing about the equipment itself, just the dealer). It might be worth getting another bid or two unless you feel comfortable with the Bryant dealer.

The only problem I have is the following:
    ... "
    Option #2: Bryant 3 Ton 16 Seer 2-stage Model #225ANA030000
    Bryant 93% 2-Stage variable Speed Gas furnace, Model 355MAV42060,
    Bryant 2.5 ton Evaportator Coil, Honeywell Pro 8000 Thermostat, 410A refrigerant in HP,
    install the same as above option. $12,750.00
    "...

--1. That's the wrong model number. Should be the 226ANA036000.
    --2. A 2.5 ton evaporator coil should not be quoted with a 3 ton outdoor unit unless it's an approved match which I doubt.

• wear_your_baby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ryan thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I agree with you on the evaporator and was wondering the same thing. I also get the same feeling you did, based on the detail of the 2 quotes. The second company didn't even meet with us; they are a friend of a friend who looked at the plans by email--supposedly giving a great deal for him? (any comments on that?)

Is the "Evolution" Bryant I keep reading about on this forum a big upgrade from what is quoted here?

Other input is greatly appreciated! I'm so thankful to have found these forums before mismanaging a whole lot of money on this construction!

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

wear your baby

I assume your new home will have excellent building and insulation qualities with good windows/doors.

do I understand that you don't have access to nat gas and are looking at propane furnace for backup?

if so, I would consider dropping the propane furnace altogether and go all electric.

I would look at the new bryant Preferred 16 two stg HP-I will assume a three ton mdl.

here are two configurations for your consideration, one with Evolution air handler/control and one with Preferred series VS air handler paired with a thermidistat. I would also recommend a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet.

3496817 Active Systems PREFERRED 16 PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 266ANA036-A FE4AN(B,F)005+UI 36000 13.00 16.50 37800 9.50 22800

3496825 Active Systems PREFERRED 16 PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 266ANA036-A FV4CN(B,F)005 35200 13.00 16.00 37200 9.30 22200

excellent performance/efficiency numbers.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Unless you want propane heat for the warmer air (though heat pumps nowadays do very well, especially on Evolution controls), the heat pump tiger suggests is a good idea. The Evolution control offers you more control over the system; humidity, airflow, etc., and would be well matched with the Preferred 16 266ANA036 heat pump and either an Evolution furnace or electric air handler (which would then use electric heat strips as backup rather than heat). Let us know if you have any more questions, and I wouldn't be afraid to get another quote or two for this job. The email quote doesn't make much sense with just a glance at the plans. I'm not sure how they arrived at their sizing or what their plans are for ductwork design/layout.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

wear your baby

I love the Shenandoah Valley as I lived in that area for four yrs many years ago.

Here is a fuel comparison calculator that might be of use. You have to know your electric cost and nat gas or propane cost and efficiencies. I have always found it to be a useful tool.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuel Comparison Calculator

• wear_your_baby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tigerdunes, So you are saying you're familiar with the climate here--and you would be comfortable leaving out the LP? I have wondered about this myself, since the house we just sold (subdivision, mass-built) was heatpump only, with LP ventless logs in the LR. Our utility bills were very low. But now that we're building, everyone we ask is saying they wouldn't do it any way other than HP w/ furnace backup. I don't understand why, since our bills have always been low with elec. HP-only.

I forgot to clarify--there is no Nat. Gas. It would be LP from our own tank. We are planning to have 1 set of vented LP logs in the LR. We actually used them quite often in the last house to supplement the heat, and take the chill off. They made a big difference in heating the house, but that one was 2-story and I think the heat was able to rise. Not sure if they'd have the same effect in a ranch.

I will research the systems you mentioned, as well as some of the terms you used! It's like reading Chinese!! haha I will also use the fuel calculator-will take some research to find the numbers but it looks helpful. Thanks!

Ryan, you are right about needing more quotes. Thank for getting me moving on that. I passed the plans along to one sub today who has 40 years' experience and works alone.

Thanks again for all your help. I've been searching for threads on here regarding elec. HP only vs. gas backup, but can't find anything.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

wear your baby

I would not have propane. Homeowners need to realize that propane costs track oil prices and I know where oil prices are going as the economy recovers. If heating operating costs are not a concern, then by all means go with a furnace backup. otherwise stick to propane for the logs and possibly cooking/water heating.

two other thoughts.

you will need a good whole house air filter cabinet-I recommend a 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet.

plus new homes have tight construction qualities. I would consider a Fresh Air Ventilator for fresh air exchange and perhaps a whole house humidifier.

IMO