Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC Replacement

Posted by Mike1029 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 21:18

Highly recommended contractor installed a 3-1/2 ton, 14 SEER, Rheem HVAC system in my home today. They did not replace the very old, slightly damaged, concrete slab to mount the new condenser or clean the existing duct work. The return air duct is very dusty. I feel I got a great deal at $3,750.00, but shouldn't they have replaced the slab and duct when replacing an old (15 year) system? I assumed this would be done as standard. I should have got everything in writing, but obviously did not. Just curious as to what I should have expected realistically.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC Replacement

Mike:

Typically, on routine change outs the outdoor condenser pad is replaced. Now, given that you had a concrete pad, they probably felt they could reuse it (lower installed cost, but not by much at all). I would have replaced the pad, but don't know whether this was a budget replacement. I don't agree with the practice of reusing pads, but it is some companies' procedure if in decent shape and not usually a problem.

Cleaning ductwork is almost never done on new change outs of existing equipment. A professional installation will tend to include new supply/return plenum ducts, however (the ducts attaching to the inlet/outlet of your furnace/air handler).

You got a good deal, that's for sure. I always recommend getting detailed quotes with everything in writing. Not all the blame goes on you. You expected a complete change out, as you should have, but not all contractors are used to doing such in order to provide a lower bid to the customer.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 12:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here