Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard & sliding door, central air

Posted by krycek1984 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 21:13

Hey all, I have a question...

We are having a sliding door placed in our family room...currently, there is just a window and a very long run of baseboard heat (Hydronic I believe, there is a boiler downstairs and water goes through all the pipes).

In my Aunt's apartment, they put the sliding door directly above the baseboard heating unit, so that basically you step up to the sliding door. That is the only thing I can think of - I can't imagine taking out the current baseboard heat would do anything to help with our heating situation!!!

Also, we would like to install central AC. The house already has ductwork, but here is the deal: the vents in several of the rooms are hidden by the radiators, so the vents will need to be moved to the floor to work. In any event, there is no furnace and blower. There is a "Plenum" whatever that is. I'm guessing we will just need a blower?

It's all so confusiong. The contractor can't really give a good estimated price for this because the HVAC people have to come out and deal with it, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard & sliding door, central air

What is the issue with your family room? How big is the room and long is the current baseboard radiator?

How did the vents wind up behind the baseboard radiators? Were they added later on?

General contractors are not knowledgeable when it comes to HVAC systems. You better off speaking directly to a qualified HVAC contractor.

o
RE: baseboard & sliding door, central air

How old is the house? What kind of climate are you in? What are you using for AC now and what is wrong with that approach?

It seems likely that the house had forced-air heat at some time (maybe coal-fired) and it was replaced with hydronic. What fires your boiler, natural gas, propane, fuel oil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here