Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trent1960

Heating a house with 10 ft ceilings

trent1960
10 years ago

Hi. New member here. I have a problem/question and am hoping someone with knowledge or experience can help.

Problem: Have a one story house with 10 ft ceilings with heat pump. The return air and supply air vents are all in the ceilings. Cooling in summer is fine. Heating in winter is terrible. Even when the outside is around 40 the inside will never get above 60. Well, near the ceiling is about 85 or so while at the normal person hight level where the thermostat is is around 60. When outside is around 20, inside is around 45. (I have disconnected the auxiliary heating of the heat pump. Long story.)

Question: been thinking to get a second unit working with gas installed in the crawl space under the floor. AC/HP is in the attic.

1. Would this work?
2. Would it affect the value of the house downward as people might find it unusual?
3. To avoid heavy ducting expenses I am thinking of having two supply air vents. House is 1 bedroom and basically has three large spaces. The two would be in master bedroom and kitchen/family room area.
4. If ok, should the two systems be on a single thermostat or could I have two separate and independent thermostats?

We are frustrated and cold. Please help.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• formulaross
    10 years ago

What about bringing the heat down with a slow-running ceiling fan?

• mori1
    10 years ago

The first place I rented had 10ft ceiling in the kitchen. Changing the light bulbs were so much fun. Anyway, it had a ceiling fan and that helped a lot.

• User
    10 years ago

Ceiing fan and reconnect the auxiliary.

• trent1960
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have three ceiling fans: one in master bedroom, one in family room and one in the office. All three are running constantly. And so is the AC fan. Unfortunately the numbers that I gave you were for when the fans are running.

This post was edited by trent1960 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 22:43

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

I would attempt to get either the supplies or returns close to the floor. Maybe making one main duct going down into the crawl and then branching out to the rooms and boxing it in. The best would be to keep the conditioned air out of the crawl if there is a area that connects all of the rooms together box it to there and make vents into each room from it?

Duct sealing and home sealing are next on the list.

• trent1960
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. When the air near the ceiling is around 85 degrees, as far as the heat pump is concerned it is heating the house to 85 degrees. I think we have stratification and air distribution design problems.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

When the air near the ceiling is around 85 degrees, as far as the heat pump is concerned it is heating the house to 85 degrees. Your HVAC system should be responding to the temp reading at the thermostat, not at the ceiling ... is the thermostat mounted at/near ceiling height?

I have 9' ceilings in some areas, 10' in others (living room and master bedroom). Don't have any problem maintaining the target 70ðF even at outdoor temps in the upper 20ðFs. I do keep a floor fan running in the living room, blowing past the thermostat toward the MBR.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

You might consider adding a gas fireplace. I use ours to heat the main living room/dining kitchen with 14 and 9 foot ceilings and can easily get the heat in the seventies- even when it is very cold outside. I also use ceiling fans set to reverse on low.
    The thermostat heat pump is set at 57 and I rarely turn it higher, preferring the fireplace- it's cheaper and I use electric blankets at night or a ceramic portable heater to warm where I am sitting for long periods.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Tangent questions: Why was the place constructed with ten foot ceilings? What was the original climate control?

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Is the floor well-insulated and air-sealed? If not, that might be the best path to comfort.

Are the ceiling fans rated large enough for the rooms?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths