Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twistd_gw

Opinions on Quote

TwistD
10 years ago

Hi all,

First time having to replace a system. Our heat pump and air handler are at EOL and I have my first quote for replacements, was hoping some folks here can give their input on how well it prices, alternatives, and other thoughts to chew on. Don't have much history on the current equipment because we just purchased the home last fall. But I can say it's not it good condition.

Heat Pump: Carrier 25HCC536 (15/16 SEER, 9 HSPF)
Air Handler: Carrier FV4CN5002 + 15kw Strip
10yr Parts

for a little over $6000.

Location is Northern VA with about 2000 sq ft. Personally it feels a bit pricey but I'm not experienced in this arena so I honestly have no idea what a typical price range is, or quality for that matter. Other than these Carrier items fall in the mid range of available equipment, so the inter-webs say.

Lots of good information browsing the forums here so I'm hoping for a good collection of opinions.

I found a link in the forums from last year referencing the air handler :
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg1108345621557.html?31

Price from that link states $5.5-6k in same area (NOVA). I guess it's close, but that was Nov '12, I'd think pricing would come down a bit in over a year...maybe not though.

I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

WeI just got the 25HCD336/FV4CNF005 with 15kw strip installed for $3700 (with the return duct and filter grill enlarged). The 25HCC536 would have been about $500 more. Recommend the same 005 air handler for your installation if it will fit (better SEER/HSPF numbers). We also got the Carrier 10 year labor warranty, to supplement to 10 years parts warranty, for $550. That was in the Roanoke, VA area. Unfortunately, prices are regional so the only way to really know if you're getting a good deal is to get several estimates.

This post was edited by sktn77a on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:29

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Twist

Several things.

You are replacing a 3 ton system?

I would want to know the AHRI HP matching number. I could not find it. I don't think that's the correct air handler size. Ask dealer for matching AHRI number. And without the qualifying matching number, you can't receive the Fed Tax Credit for new heat pump systems.

I would not want a 15 KW heat strip unless it was staged. A 10 KW should be just fine.

You want Carrier's Edge thermidistat.

How do you filter your return air?

The only negative about this system is it does not have demand defrost.

Post back.

IMO

• TwistD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info so far.

@sktn771

I can't find any info on the FV4CNF005 model...I'll keep digging and thanks for the post. $3.7 - $6 is a big difference. Good to know and thanks for the information. How do you like the setup?

@tigerdunes

Yes, I am replacing a 3 ton system.

I looked for the AHRI number here:
    http://cactaxcredits.info/carrier-ratings/hp_ratings_list.php?order=arirefno

There are quite a few 25HCC536 entries with blank furnace entries. I would think that indicates a valid match in my scenario. I'll ask the question and get the answer posted.

We talked about the 10 vs 15 strip for a while. In the end I agreed (folded?) with the recommendation from the vendor. But I am confused by your comment. Based on what I've read on staging I would think you would want the 10 when staged, and 15 unstaged ...but maybe I'm missing some math there. Either way, I do believe it would be staged. I don't have the quote directly in front of me to be 100% certain on that, if it's even on the quote, but I do believe that was the case.

Air filter...standard air filter? I guess I don't understand this point...Care to extrapolate?

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

You can stage the 15kw heat strip. Two stages with most 2 cool/4 heat or 2 cool/3 heat thermostats, three stages with the matching Carrier thermostat. The FV4CNF005 on the carrier website is listed under "fan coil" not "air handler" (go figure). It's just a larger box than the 002 with a larger coil for better efficiency. If you go for this system make sure the air handler has L00 after the model number. This is the new all-aluminum coil model than only recently became available.

• TwistD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@sktn77a

When you mention "make sure the air handler has L00 after the model number"...do you mean air handler or the hp? I thought the aluminum coil came issue came off the hp.

I was also advised the AHRI is irrelevant and the tax credit has ended. Looking at the ari.org site he seems to be correct. Only geothermal extends to 2016, residential seer based credits seem to have ended Dec 31 2013 ... I was highly suspicious of his claim at first but the air.org seems to confirm his statement. At least that ups my faith in him a bit.

Always the worst part of moving...learning all over who to trust to do the best job...

Thanks again.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Excellent suggestion by Skin

Air handler

The "L" indicates aluminum coil which is what you want.

AHRI has this listed in their directory.

I would not want a 15 KW heat strip unless it was staged. A 10 KW should be just fine.

You want Carrier's Edge thermidistat.

How do you filter your return air?

The only negative about this system is it does not have demand defrost.

As far as I am concerned, this is the preferred configuration.

7021655 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE SERIES PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCC536A**30 FV4CNB006L 1050 35400 13.00 15.50 33800 9.00 21600 1 HRCU-A-CB 276 754 Yes

Note the L suffix on air handler.

IMO

• ThxJohn
    9 years ago

I am in NOVA looking @ same system and getting bids.
    If not a concern, could you inform as to installation cost and group?
    Thanks
    John

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

For above poster.

You have hijacked an old thread. This is considered bad forum etiquette.

Go to main page to bottom and post your own thread.

You are more likely to get a better response.

TD