Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loafer80_gw

Zoned radiant floor heat system for open floor plan?

loafer80
11 years ago

We are building a new house and planning to do a 2 zone radiant floor heat system on the main floor. Will it be worth it or wasted and messes the system up.
It's a 3 storey home, and the main floor with be over a fully finished and conditioned basement.
We are planning to do 1 zone for the entry and living room (south side), 1 zone for the kitchen, family, dining room and powder(north side). The dividing wall (is not really a wall) between dining and living room is a see thru fireplace and open bookshelves.
Also, where should we put the thermostats for the zones.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (6)

• fsq4cw
    11 years ago

Have you considered geothermal?

See link below.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordic Triple Function Geothermal Heat Pump

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Will this house have AC? How are you going to heat the rest of the house and basement? What type of flooring will the be on the first floor?

Where are you located? Is natural gas available?

I am curious as to why want to use radiant heat on the first floor and if have you considered other options.

• loafer80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply so far. I should have been more clear on some details.
    The whole house will be heated with radiant floor heat over hardwood, including the basement and upper floor. We will be using a natural gas condensing boiler (I believe Viessmann)
    We are in Vancouver, Canada so mostly heating days and no AC.

Our concern is basically will the 2 zone be effective in an open floor plan. If one zone is turned off and other is on, will the heat spread over to the off zone and making it effectively just one big zone with half of the zone turned off.

• audiomixer
    11 years ago

Yes maybe, but with hot and cool spots

Exactly why you need an expert that will consider and factor in all the variables........losses.....gains......insulation......climate.....

Examples
    Heat rises
    Window solar gain or loss
    Materials
    Ceiling height
    Attic space and insulation
    Wall insulation
    Square footage for each room, cubic footage too
    Temperature of water...loss per run

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

Based on my experience, I'd say that trying to divide an open area into two zones won't work.

We built a 1000 sq ft addition of several rooms and and an open area - it has its own furnace and a new furnace was put into the existing structure at the same time. The connection between the areas is a wide-ish hallway. When both furnaces are on, the house is evenly warm. Without closing doors, it's not feasible to have the heat on on one side but not the other because the cold air mass on the "off" side keeps the "On" part of the house from warming up. The areas most distant from the border will get too warm as the system tries to compensate, and the areas near the border stay cold.

Neither cold nor warm stays put because you want it to. In your plan, I think there would be a constant flow of warm air to the cold area along the ceiling and cold air to the warm area along the floor.

Not a question that you asked, but your plan suggests you're going to have a very dark region by the dining room and stairs. You've got a long wall with no windows between the living room and the family room, and the fireplace will block light coming from the front.

Good luck