Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

1500 sqf house - best furnace on the market?

Denitza Kotov
11 years ago

Please share - thank you!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

It all depends on what you are looking for and your budget

Sizing is key to comfort and reasonable operating costs

High efficiency 95%+ or standard efficiency 80%

Two stage burners or single stage models

Just my idea but I believe furnaces are closer together on quality compared to a wide separation in outside condensers.

I personally would want a furnace to have a variable speed blower motor and at the very least the high efficient x-13 blower motor. Stainless steel heat exchangers are a big plus.

Other factors to take into consideration is one's location, winter weather, how long you plan on being in home. I always encourage homeowners to have a thorough inspection of their ductwork system. Keep in mind new HVAC is a waste if one has a poorly sized, poorly designed, not enough return, poor insulation, and a leaky ductwork system. The most overlooked element in a new HVAC system,

IMO

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the great tips! I am in CA and not at home during the day - the house is old 1952 and I guess I need to check the duct system first - we did clean the ducts when we bought the house 4 years ago. I am debating whether to move the furnace under the roof to free space for second bathroom - still thinking if it's a good idea. Thank you!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am also not sure what is the difference in pricing for 95% or 80% efficient and single or two stage burner?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Higher efficiency means more bux...

Two stage heat means more bux...

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

Rheem and Ruud are right up there with number 1 and 2 and usually a good bang for the buck.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I got my first bid - $1800 for the furnace ( 80% one stage probably Carrier ), $2100 for new ducts (?) and $2400 for moving the furnace to the attic. Are those prices reasonable? I still need to check others. My question is should I replace the ducts - the contractor said they are old and probably leaking - how would I know if that 2K cost is justified - maybe they are OK and not leaking? Is the $1800 just the price for the equipment or it should be less since I'll pay $2400 for the install in the attic.

Please share your advice.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

are ducts flex or hard pipe duct?

to determine how much they leak,
    you get a duct leakage test.

if they are properly sized (& size of system isn't increased)
    then it will be worth while to mastic seal the ducts.

usually when flex duct is cleaned, it tears.

$1800 is furnace, $600 to move it to attic?
    I'm guessing.

didn't you post about crawlspace vs attic vs basement
    install?
    putting equipement & ducts in attic isn't the
    best choice. basement would be the best.

best of luck.