Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiator fins on hotwater pipes in unfinished basement

Posted by UpNorthHey (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 19:14

I am looking at a ranch house for sale that was built in 1958. The main floor rooms all have long radiators along the walls with fins in them. The unfinished basement has hot water pipes with some sections with fins attached to the floor joists overhead along the outerwalls. Is this to heat the unfinished basement and/or protect the plumbing from freezing? We are in southern Wisconsin. It seemed kind of wasteful, since the basement probably doesn't get below freezing where the pipes would freeze. Is this layout typical? Why not run them along the floor too? Or are they really necessary?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiator fins on hotwater pipes in unfinished basement

The 1959 rancher in NY that I grew up in had the same. It was a great play area for kids. Be careful about decommissioning them. You might end up with a moisture problem.

o

Warmer air rises.

Cooler air sinks.

The basement may be VERY cool with no source of heat in the room.

o

In my childhood home, these basement loops were arranged between the upstairs radiators. If this is the case with this house, because of easy access, it would be a simple thing to install simple pipe in their place or install a separate loop. If you want to see what it will be like down there with no heat, you can wrap them up with something, but make sure what ever you use is not too heavy for the pipes or their support mechanisms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here