Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2bme_gw

can i take a radiator out & move it?

happy2bme
17 years ago

I will be moving into a 82 yr old colonial soon. The kitchen is 15 x 9, the one radiator in the kitchen is taking up some premium wall space, so i cant put anything there. The house is heated by gas i think? Is there anyway to remove that radiator and put some alternative heating in there? Its right in the middle of the wall between 2 windows (Of course). What would be the cheapest alternative. Can i keep it on the same wall but just move it way down? I'm open to any alternative...but pocketbook feindly would be nice. Thank you :)

Comments (16)

• happy2bme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ahhh! Ok thank you for the info. I feel better now. Yes thats pocketbook friendly. If I could have someone come out and just move it all the way to the left that would be good, to the right is a wall of cabinets. If i disconnect all together then there would be no heat in the kitchen, I think being in upstate NY I wouldnt like that. Although being cold in there I'd spend less time in there...great diet plan. Thank you for your help! :)

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Glad to be of service, hope you're not neat Osweego.

• deweymn
    17 years ago

Ever seen any of those decorative covers for radiators?

Some cover them completely with holes in them for the heated air to escape. You do lose some heat but you can place things on them. Right now several of mine are covered with junk etc and my downstairs is coldest part of the house. Next winter I won't be so lazy. Maybe.

• happy2bme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amsterdam, New York...close but not that close, exit 27 on the thruway...

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

How close by measurement of snow accumulation? 6,5,4,3,or 2 feet of snow away? :-)

• happy2bme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I live in Miami right now but I hear there is only a few inches in Amsterdam, Im sure on moving day upstate NY will get a blizzard!

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Gee, from white beaches to white OUT!

• happy2bme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know I know, but after 10 years + here, getting a little home sick...and the hurricanes and wind insurance. Its just time to go home :)

• kframe19
    17 years ago

Uhm...

The BIG question is...

Is the house heated with hot water, or with steam?

If steam, it's a lot easier to disconnect a radiator, but MUCH more of a pain in the butt to relocate it.

If hot water, it's a LOT more of a pain in the butt to disconnect it, but quite a bit easier to repipe for it AS LONG AS the house has circulated hot water and isn't gravity hot water.

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

ahh, the first mention of gravity hot water in quite some time. Yeah, you dont touch anything on a gravity system without it going completely haywire.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

A Rigid Pony makes pipe threading in place like would be the case here alot easier.

• happy2bme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know, Ive actually never been in the house, I have only seen pictures that my mom took when she went to look at it for me. I have driven by the house a million times since its back in my home town. Ill have to look at the inspection report that was emailed to me to see what it says. my mom commented to me tonight "Your moving that radiator!" just switch it to baseboard heat, she didnt mean electric. Maybe she knows something i dont. Ill look at the report and post what it says.

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

If you wanted to put a cabinet with a countertop in that same location you could use a toekick convection unit, it mounts in the bottom of a cabinet and has it's own fan, puts out nice toasty heat too.

• kframe19
    17 years ago

Happy,

ABSOLUTELY the first thing you must do is to find out what kind of heating system you have, and then you plan from there.

A switch to baseboard heat may or may not be feasible, depending on the kind of system it is.

Also, you simply can't look at a radiator and say, "OK, it's 2 feet wide, I need a strip of baseboard 2 foot wide." A radiator, depending on its height and number of columns, can put out several times more heat than a similar length of baseboard heating.

Under no circumstances should you start disconnecting radiators without consulting with an HVAC professional.

As black number said, what seems to be a minor change to a gravity hot water system can cause havoc in your heating.

• dchhat007
    16 years ago

I have a question on an issue I have with a steam heating steam that works fine throughout all the radiators in the house except for one very important radiator. I have a total of 9 radiators in the house and all of them work fine depending on the room temp, but the biggest radiotor doesnt work. I askd some professionals for a fix and the price just to come down and having a look was approx $170 and labor extra. So I am trying to save some money.

Two years ago or more, the radiator that doesnt work had water coming out of the bleed(control) valve and it wasnt driping water, but instead it was splashing out was like water coming out of a fire hydrant in NYC streets. After that instance we turned the entire heat system off and let it cool for some time. After a few hours we turned it on and that radiator never gets hot again. I removed the bleed value to sense if the hot steam air pushing out but all i hear is a sound similar as to when you boil water and along with that was cold air coming out.

No other radiators have this issue and I was wondering if anyone can tell me a solution to this major problem. Please advise as my living room stays so much colder now than before.