Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiant Heat:New Construction:Slab

Posted by SBJOE (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 18:21

I am building a new 2400sq ft house. I am looking to put radiant heat in and the path of least resistance from a building standpoint is Slab on grade. I have a few questions.

1.Is it better to run the tubing in the slab or above the slab in a warm floor type sublfloor? The goal is to have hardwood floors above.

2. If its better to be above the slab is there any reccomendations for products that would work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiant Heat:New Construction:Slab

Where the loops are placed will result in different characteristics of the system, such as how quickly it heats up and cools down. Having the tubes placed in the slab makes the most use of the thermal mass of the slab but with slower response times. Even placement within the slab has an effect on response time, as does the thickness of the slab. It all depends what you want to achieve.

Have you considered doing this with geothermal?

SR

o

I have not considered Geothermal. The system is in Santa Barbara, average temp 60 degrees. I assumed Geothermals costs/benefits come in colder climates.

Any idea which is the ideal choice in the slab or using Warm Boards or similar?

o

If you were looking for a quick heating response probably Warm Boards would be the way to go. Speak with installers that have experience in your climate.

Are you planning to install A/C, a heated pool or hot tub? A single multi-purpose geothermal unit can have many uses transferring heat energy from one place where it's not needed to another where it is at almost twice the efficiency of single a purpose geothermal unit.

Geothermal is used in all climates, you could look into it, or not.

SR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here