Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
central home oil heater, pump cavitating, what to do?

Posted by paulmars (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 17:48

I had to move the tank 3 feet further down towards ground. So, now the heater pump needs to pull fuel up 3 more feet. There was already a long distance from tank to pump. About 40 feet. The tank was at the same height as the pump. fuel got pulled up about 5 feet, over about 30, then down about 5 feet. Its been working like this for 26 years. However, I had to move tank down 3 feet. So, its now pulling up 8 feet, then over 30 feet, then down 5 feet. However, now it keeps cavitating. What to do? Last resort is to move the tank back up. Someone said a small low pressure automotive fuel pump mounted at the tank to push the fuel. This work?

tks,
pa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: central home oil heater, pump cavitating, what to do?

"Someone said a small low pressure automotive fuel pump mounted at the tank to push the fuel. This work? "

Lift pumps for the specific purpose are available.

Going to a two-line system increases the permissible lift. A two-stage pump also helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pump specifications

o

Use a Tiger Loop. No need to run a return line. You can buy it on line, it's easy to install.

o

Im thinking of a tigerloop, however running a return line costs less.

pa

o

I cant get any advice on which tigerloop to use. I cant afford a contractor.

o

If you use the Ultra it minimizes the number of connections needed. The Ultra is a Tiger Loop/spin-on filter combination. The only other items you'd need to buy is a pair of flex oil lines. I saw both on E-Bay at a reasonable price.

A return line may cost less to install but quite often leads to humming when the burner runs. Also, since the flow of fresh oil through the filter is the gear set capacity of the pump, the filter will have to be changed more often. With the Tiger Loop only the amount of oil that's burned goes through the filter.

o

tigerloop sounds best. the maker says it takes a contractor to determine which model. I got another user advice saying the TN is the best one for me. I just cant spend 70+$ on a gamble, not being sure which model I need. untra or TN or ?

o

The Ultra has a built in filter, the TN does not. The other thing to consider is whether you intend to use bio-fuel. Why not just go to the TigerLoop website and read about all models and go from there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here