Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to heat a 400 sq ft room?

Posted by Tryitoutj (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 17:38

My house is horribly insulated so I am going to stop heating most of it and stick to a few heated rooms.

I have a 400 sq ft room with large bay windows. I've read elsewhere that I should expect to need 10 watts per/sq ft (more if there are large windows), so 4000+ watts for my room.

I have a 900/1500 watt heater. I've already had issues where the breaker trips so my electrical grid isn't very robust either (heater + hair dryer, for example, pops the circuit).

What are my options for heating this 400 sq ft room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to heat a 400 sq ft room?

You could use a kerosene heater. Home Depot has one for $129. It puts out 23,000 BTU which will keep you toasty on the coldest nights.

I am not a fan of these. They need to a source of ventalation. I suggest cracking up the window when you use it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Kersosene Heater

o

Any fuel burning non-vented heater will add lots of water vapor to a room. And a potential for carbon monoxide. I had a case where a church wanted to heat a room of about 400 square feet on an irregular schedule but the heating set up required heating 8000 square feet, all or nothing. The 8000 feet was on a setback of 50 deg. So I installed baseboard electric in the room with a low voltage wall thermostat (under a security cover) in series with a spring wound timer and a silent relay controlled by the timer/thermostat combo. Turn the timer and get heat for a maximum of 12 hours. Reset the timer if occupied for longer times. No one could tamper with the temperature setting and no one could forget to turn off the heat. With unpredictable and irregular use, a programmed thermostat was not appropriate. The baseboard had to raise the temperature from 50 (the setback) to 70.

o

fujitsu heat pump

o

The ratings for the linked Infrared heaters are 500/1000/1500 Watts. How's that going to "cut your electricity bill?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here