Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Becket Oil Burner occasional odor

Posted by tlaico (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 16:35

I have a forced air Beckett oil burner about 10-12 years old. Once in a while while it was running it would start to smell like kerosene and after about 10 mins it would "pop" the red tripper button on the burner. I called for service and they cleaned it , adjusted the spacing on ( for lack of the proper term) the ignitor? It would then run ok for a few days then same thing. Service tech repeated process - same result. Completley unrelated, I opened one of the basement windows
actually to clear the odor and becasue I worried about CO. I turn furnace on, and it ran perfectly! And has
for quite some time. To test, I closed the basement window, and after a time - same result!! Kerosene odor - although I dont let it get to the point where it pops the red tripper - but I can smell the kerosene odor. I open the window - and it runs like a champ again... odor disapears. Not because it is "diluted" - it stops producing the odor when windw is open. ( The window is right next to the furnace) So obviously I am thinking it is starved for Oxygen. Is there an adjustment for this and is it something a homeowner should mess with ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Becket Oil Burner occasional odor

There is, mark sure the air intake next to the fuel pump is clear of dust or in my case saw dust. There is an adjustment for air intake that you could open a bit ,trial an error. Could be the wrong nozzle used, because the tech didn't have the right one, did the tech clean the basket screen in the fuel pump.Call the service company and have them send a different tech. Do a little home work to find out the correct nozzle, flame pattern and the correct procedure for cleaning.
Sit right there and watch, your paying him to fix it right.

o

Thanks for your reply..

Yes, he did clean the basket screen - I will check on the nozzle.

I will get a new tech but I wanted to know enough about it to be able to ask the right questions.

When you say you had saw dust in that air intake ( Which I see now what you are referring to on the burner unit )
Did you have similar problems ? Meaning it 'choked' and produced an oil odor ?

o

This sounds like the burner is working ok. Opening the window might indicate there is not enough airflow into the furnace room to supply the burner with enough air for proper combustion. Is the furnace in a small closed room? Newer becket burners have the option to use outside air for combustion. A simpler solution might be to fit that window with a screen and louvre to allow sufficient air for proper operation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here