Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlaico_gw

Becket Oil Burner occasional odor

tlaico
12 years ago

I have a forced air Beckett oil burner about 10-12 years old. Once in a while while it was running it would start to smell like kerosene and after about 10 mins it would "pop" the red tripper button on the burner. I called for service and they cleaned it , adjusted the spacing on ( for lack of the proper term) the ignitor? It would then run ok for a few days then same thing. Service tech repeated process - same result. Completley unrelated, I opened one of the basement windows

actually to clear the odor and becasue I worried about CO. I turn furnace on, and it ran perfectly! And has

for quite some time. To test, I closed the basement window, and after a time - same result!! Kerosene odor - although I dont let it get to the point where it pops the red tripper - but I can smell the kerosene odor. I open the window - and it runs like a champ again... odor disapears. Not because it is "diluted" - it stops producing the odor when windw is open. ( The window is right next to the furnace) So obviously I am thinking it is starved for Oxygen. Is there an adjustment for this and is it something a homeowner should mess with ?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm