Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abernat_gw

Amana vs Carrier Furnace & AC Unit

abernat
10 years ago

We will be replacing the furnace and AC units in my home in the next month or so.

The company that we will be using sells Carrier & Amana products. We will be getting their higher end equipment for whichever brand we ultimately go with. The sales rep said both have their pluses and minuses.

Not sure if it's just good marketing, etc but I've kind of always though that Carrier & Trane were "top of the line" and the other brands were different levels below them.

In short, would anyone with experience be able to, on the cover, recommend one brand over the other... Carrier or Amana?

I appreciate any advice.

Comments (8)

• abernat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, quick follow-up...

I do have the Carrier model info-
    - Furnace - Carrier Infinity series 96% two-stage gas furnace 100BTU
    - AC - Carrier Comfort series 3.5-ton 13 seer

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I prefer Carrier.

With their Infinity furnace, you will require matching Infinity controller.

You have been quoted high end furnace with low end condenser. I would move up to at least Performance AC model series.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Do a search of "Goodman problems" on this forum. This will give you an idea of issues reported by posters. If you considering Amana vs. Carrier then you want to compare similar models (2-stage, variable, etc.).

What is your location and how large is your house? How did the contractor determine the size of the furnace and AC?

• abernat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had several quotes (4 different companies) of which three of the 4 took measurements and did a load calculation. One of the 4 did not. Two of the companies that took measurements and the one that didn't recommended the sizes noted above. Surprisingly one of the companies that took measurements recommended something different.

I am in NE Ohio. 2,900 sq ft. Additional 600 sq ft in basement that is going to be finished soon.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

No more than 100 K BTU.

What size furnace have dealers recommended?

IMO

• abernat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

3 out of 4 said 100BTU. One said 80BTU.

So Goodman/Amana are more or less same thing, got it. Consumer reports wasn't too high on Amana which is why I came here to ask. I searched the forums a bit but posts seemed to focus more on comparing sizes, models, etc within. Which led me to my post about, on the cover, what is the more respected name when you compare apples-to-apples between the two lines? Or are they about the same in reality?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The 80K size furnace is probably the right size, but it is too close to call without seeing the details of the load calculation. Contractors tend to oversize equipment which causes multiple problems. You also have contractors who do load calculations and then add a big fudge factor because they don't trust their own calculations.

If you plan to live in this house long term, then I suggest you invest in the Carrier equipment. My original equipment were 25 year old Carrier furnaces and condensers when I replaced them. If the installation is done correctly you will be fine.

I have read that Goodman equipment has improved over the last several years. People will post they have owned Carrier, Trane, Rheem equipment for many years, but I have never read long term ownership posts for Goodman.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County