Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Recommend an A/C Add on for Bryant Furnace

Tmnca
10 years ago

We own a 1500 square foot 2 story townhome, units on both sides no one above or below - slab foundation, tile roof with insulated attic, in the San Francisco bay area (pretty temperate climate). There is no existing A/C. The home was built in 1980 and the floorplan is open downstairs and 2 beds/2baths upstairs each room has a vent but only 1 return downstairs under the furnace - which is housed in a closet.

In 2012 we had a new Bryant 80% AFUE model 311JAV024045 installed, with a quote for adding on A/C in future. The quoted A/C is a 13 SEER (2 ton) Bryant model 113ANA024.

Normally our home stays reasonably comfortable for the majority of the year, and we added an awning and window film to the SW windows to reduce the heat accumulation. But there are some days when it's very uncomfortable in summer, and my husband works at home a lot and would like to be more comfortable. Last June we had a heat wave in which it was over 100 degrees for a week - while unusual for the heat waves to last that long they do come 1-3 times a year. For us, above 80 degrees inside is very uncomfortable and we are unable to sleep. We'd prefer to be able to keep our home at 72 no matter the outside temp.

We have an HOA so we will need to get approval so low noise and outdoor footprint is a plus, too.

Is the system we have a quote for a good option or would you recommend others?

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Where is furnace located? Where is ductwork located?

You need a return for upstairs.

I see nothing wrong with the 113 model. It is low end Legacy series in the Bryant line. Does carry a 10 yr warranty if properly registered. You will need best matching ALA aluminum Bryant coil. Not necessarily noisy but a rating of 76 db. As far as footprint, your dealer should give you the dimensions.

IMO

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The furnace is located in a closet downstairs as I mentioned. The ductwork is in the walls of downstairs and ceiling of upstairs.

I don't think it would be possible to add a return upstairs, which I realize is not ideal but it would be prohibitively expensive to do and require reconfiguring the whole furnace setup.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No opinion/advice/feedback on this Bryant system?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations