Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is 50,000 btus enough for small apt?

Posted by belladom (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 15:53

I have a tenant w/a 50,000 btu, 4-year old thermostat (Cozy) They complain the 2-bedroom, 700-sq foot apt is not warm enough here in L.A.near the beach.
There could be other issues, (single-pane windows, high ceilings, no attic, 50s-era zero insulation, etc.)

Is there a warmer thermostat option on the market? Or should I weatherstrip the windows and doors and/or replace them with fiberglass....and forget about the thermostat?
Any suggestions appreciated.... thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is 50,000 btus enough for small apt?

A thermostat is a switch that turns a furnace or A/C on and off to maintain a set temperature. If the heater is rated at 50,000 btus that should be more than sufficient, unless maybe they leave the windows open for fresh air or perhaps the delivery system is insufficient.

o

What is a 50,000 BTU thermostat? A TS doesn't care how many BTUs it's controlling.

How about make and model number?

V

o
RE: reL is 50,000 btus enough for small apt?

Boy, talk about dueling posts.

o

We live in an older, but insulated, 1600 square foot house (with equal size basement) in the northern suburbs of Washington, DC. Our furnace is 80,000 BTU, 90% efficient.

It's plenty of heat, but looks like the Cozy is just a wall heater in a single location, with no distribution through the apartment. Your tenants must be roasting in one room and freezing in the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cozy furnace

o

weatherize your house first, then worry about the heat. You might want to gtet the heater inspected for proper oper.

o

I lived a block off the beach in L.A. about 20 years ago, in a similar sized, unrenovated apartment. I can't remember whether there was even any heating in the apt; neither do I remember feeling particularly cold in the apt (and I grew up in Hawaii). But definitely the coast can get the coastal fog and low clouds that don't burn off til later in the day, so it can be quite cool outside in winter.

I suspect the 50K BTU's would be adequate, except that it is mostly not circulating, maybe mostly rising to the high ceiling and being lost through the roof. Poor weatherizing also may make it drafty towards the outer walls, feeling more uncomfortable than actually being so cold. In addition to sealing the doors, walls, windows, maybe a ceiling fan run in reverse can get the heat off the ceiling and push it back down towards the outer walls, evening out the temperature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here