Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baseboard vs forced hot air

Posted by DSK1967 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 15:21

Hi, we live in Northern NJ, doing a total remodel.

We will put radiant heat in the upstairs master bath, and baseboard hot water downstairs.

Upstairs is a dilemna - our GC says that forced hot air is the way to go, the plumber is pushing baseboard.

Onthe surface, I'd prefer baseboard, forced hot air is either super warm or super cold, but our GC is telling us that new systems eliminate that problem.

Forced hot would be cheaper, as the ducts are there for the AC anyway.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baseboard vs forced hot air

A foreced hot air system powered by a furnace which has multiple stages (2 or 3) and a variable speed blower should not have the problems you are describing.

I am in central NJ and installed a Carrier Infinity 3 stage gas furnaces. The only time I hear the vents is in the morning when the thermostat is taking the temperature from 64 to 70 degrees. Even then I don't get a blast of cold air since the blower first starts in the low stage and then ramps up to high after 5 minutes. The furnace normally will operate in the low or medium stage to maintain the temperature. I don't realize the furnace is even running unless I look at the thermostat.

o

Agree with Mike - there are so many bad installs that people have lived with, they get scared on forced air. A properly done system is just fine, heats the house faster and is a lot cheaper. I am really surprised that anyone installs baseboards anymore - I would think it would be radiant or forced air.

o

Do you want your heat in many zones? How does that influence the cost of hydronic vs forced air heat?

o

We are considering the same thing. The new forced air systems have the ability to 1. add moisture if air needs it or remove it 2. you can filter the air especially helpful with allergies. If you are putting in a CAC it makes sense to do forced hot air b/c you would be using the same duct work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here