Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote Carrier - Payne Installed

Posted by berniewind (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 13:52

Hello -
I recently purchased a home and as part of the transaction a new furnace was to be installed and paid by the seller. I received a quote from a local contractor and contract specifically indicated the installation of a Carrier 58STA090114 80% efficient upflow furnace. When we did the walk through I noticed that a Payne 80% efficient unit was installed instead without any message from the contractor. I know these are both probably low end but I just wanted to know if it's worth making a stink over this. Is there a big cost difference between these two units. What about quality. Thanks in advance.

TW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote Carrier - Payne Installed

Model number would help.

o

Payne PG8M
Carrier 58STA090114

Thanks,
TW

o

Payne is part of Carrier Corp. The Payne furnaces are made in Carrier factories.

The Carrier 58STA is the known as the Base model. Is the builder grade unit in the Carrier line up. The Payne products are generally marketed to builders. I took a quick look at the product data for each furnace. As far as I can tell they are the same furnace with different labels. The quality of the furnaces should be equal.

Make sure the Payne furnace is also a 90,000 BTU input. I believe Carrier and Payne both offer a 10 year parts warranty, but you should verify this. The furnace must be registered in order to be covered for 10 years. The labor warranty is one year. Find out if you can purchase a 10 year labor warranty. It may turn out to be a good insurance policy.

o

Whose name is in the contract, yours or the sellers. If it's in the sellers, is the warranty transferable?

SR

o

Both those furnaces are low end.

You need to find out the warranty on the Payne furnace. It may need to be registered properly to receive the warranty. Plus it may only have a 10 yr warranty on heat exchanger which is very poor.

Check with installing dealer ASAP.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here