Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier A/C proposal advice

Posted by carjeff (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 13:35

We are going to need to replace our A/C unit in the near future. It is a 9yr old Heil 12 SEER 3 ton, and has a good amount of corrosion, to the point the fins are flaking off when touched. We live in Southern NJ, about 8 miles from the coast. We generally keep our A/C on from April-October, as my wife likes to keep the house cool and dry. Our existing furnace is a Carrier Infinity 96% 58MVB080-14. The main problem is the coil is only 10-12 SEER, and is below the furnace, so replacing the coil would entail removing the furnace.

We are looking at getting a matching Carrier A/C to pair up with our Infinity furnace.

We have quotes from 3 different dealers. Which of these seem like the best proposal?

Option 1:

Carrier 24APA736 2 stage condenser
CNPV4821 Coil
10 yrs parts/labor warranty included
Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer
$7395
Financing will increase price

Option 2:
Carrier 24ANB736 2 stage condensor
CNPV4221 Coil
10 yrs parts
1 yr labor warranty
Carrier Presidents Award Dealer
$7066
9 mos interest free financing

Option 3:
Carrier 24ANB136 2 stage condensor
CNPV4221 Coil
10 yrs parts
1 yr labor warranty
Carrier Presidents Award Dealer
$7956 - $500 NJ Cool Advantage Rebate
9 mos interest free financing

Option 4:
Carrier 24ANB736 2 stage condensor
CNPV4221 Coil
10 yrs parts
5 yrs labor warranty
Standard Carrier Dealer
$5750
6 mos interest free financing

I like the price of Option 4, the warranty of Option 1, and the dealer of Option 2/3. Any suggestions? Should we also look at heat pumps, or 1 stage units?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier A/C proposal advice

Since you live near the shore, I assume humidity control is important to you. Therefore I would suggest you stay with the 2-stage units. Your variable speed furnace should be a match to all of the condensers you have listed.

Option 3 is overkill in my opinion. But it is not that much more expensive after the NJ rebate. See if you can get the Carrier 10 year labor warranty included in Option 2. The labor charges for repair can be very expensive.

I don't think a heat pump makes sense. You have a 95% efficiency furnace and I suspect you electric rates are in the 18 cents per KWH range. The gas furnace is cheaper to operate at almost all temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here